ON Coumadin--- Can I still have a child.

I am 31 years old and learned that this past summer developed blood cloths from birth control pills.  I am now on Coumadin.  I visited a Hemotogolists and found that I had 3 blood clotting disorders and agreed with my pulmanary dr. that I should not have children anymore.  I do have a 3 year old son and did not have any problems giving birth to him.  In addition this blood problem probably runs in my family because my mom had 2 miscarriages prior to me and my 18 year old sister passed away from a pulmanary embolism .  My clotts also caused me to get a filter put in due to getting a pulmanary embolism as well.  My full blood work up came back with EVERYTHING normal. . . except that I am obese.  Help ME Can I ever have another child?
When I was on coumadin, I was told not to get pregnanct because it can cause bad birth defects, and the baby would have to be terminated. I am sorry to hear about you blood clots because I dealt with nine in my right leg. I just got taken off on Monday and it is safe for me to have kids again. But my advice is to talk to a specialist about this, since it is such a tough subject.
Talk to your doctor about possibly putting you on Heparin prior to and during your pregnancy in place of Coumadin. As the above poster mentioned, Coumadin is not the drug of choice during pregnancy.
Well, I know you can not take coumadin while pregnant. You would have to see a high risk OB and I'm guessing a hematologist to work out your situation. I'm not sure what a doctor would say about it. You should seek out some professional advice. Good luck, I hope you can have another child.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community