Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Pregnancy depression, Pleaaaase Help!

Hi everyone,
My old name was mim123. some how the administrators messed up my acount so I have to go with the new nickname.
I am currently 11 weeks prego, and am going through sever depression. It seems to e that my depression is getting worse and is not just a first trimester thing. I have seen a psycholigist, who ranked my depression and suggested that I take antidepressant and that it will probably get worse later in pregnancy. my OB thinks antidepressants' effect on baby is unknown. Sometimes I am suffering soooo bad that I wish I could go to sleep and not feel this whole thing. I know this is a sensitive topic, but would you continue your pregnancy under this condition?
Please help I need your advice,
Sweetie, I can completly understand you.  I suffer from depression too and have been in therapy.  When I go through my episodes, my thing is always, "i just want to fall asleep forever".  I know what you are going through and know, from my own personal experiences how dangerous it can be.  I have been suicidal, and really dont think im ever too far from being back there.  

I dont think ending your pregnancy will be the answer.  It will just be one more thing for you to regret later and become more depressed about.  You are going to be depressed regardless of if you have this baby or not.  when my boys were younger and we lived alone, all day at work, I would say, this is the day, im gonna kill myself tonight. No one understood me and what i was dealing with or why i felt the way i did, my boys were the only ones that could make me smile. And it was them that kept me alive. They were only 1 and 2 at the time and I use to imagine them waking up and  finding me dead in the morning.  I didnt want that.  I took it one day at a time and still do, but i dont think the struggle is really over.  

I've had friends try to understand and all i can say is yeah, it does sound stupid, to want to kill yourself, however when im in that state of depression, nothing makes more sense than suicide.  

If you want me to give you my number, you can respond to this message and maybe leave an email address, then I can email you my phone number in case you ever need to talk.  I use to have the suicide hotline programmed into my cell, trust me I know how bad this depression can be, pregnant or not.  
Im not trying to be rude here so please understand that....I don't think you should abort ur baby because of depression.. unless it was rape or something ya know.. but you should live with it because abort is killing ur baby.. Everyone has there opinion's about it but that is mine.. there are so many people in this world that can't conceive and then the going gets tough for these young teens getting pg and then going to have a abortion.. and then there people that don't deserve to have a baby.. NOT SAYING THAT IS YOU... But seriously I know you prolly didn't know this was gonna be like this but anything can happen during a pregnancy but you should just deal with it you laid down and got pregnant so you should keep the baby!.. Like I said Im not trying to be rude..Sorry if it sounded like it
I dont know what all of the effects are under any circumstances when depression is associated in pregnancy, however there are many things that could happen. Baby resenting you once he/she is born or you resenting that baby. How do you feel about the pregnancy so far?

My cousin is going through a depression as well. When she had her 5 year old daughter she had post partum but they only found out about a year ago and now she is pregnant as well and trying to deal with it..She also is 27 weeks like I am.

I see you saw or are seeing a psychologist, that is good you are in the process of getting help. You should definately try and get AS MUCH help as you can. Do you have anyone helping you? Family member, partner, friend, whatever? Do you have any other children?

My cousin is reported to the child protective services for her to get more help-the docs did so. It's only for the safety of her children.

I would never tell a woman to terminate her pregnancy and I'm not telling you either. I don't know much about the history of this depression, however if you feel confidant about this pregnancy and what not then continue with the necessary help if not then you have a very difficult decision to make if terminating the pregnancy is what you choose. Also, in terminating a pregnancy you have to be aware of the other issues that come along with it. Speak with you physician...I would ask for a bit more professional help:)

I wish you the best of luck girl. I hope all goes well...
I'm so sorry for posting that.. I feal so bad because i have never experienced depression...again I'm sorry its your choice what you want to do.. do you have Aim or something you can IM me if you want to... I'm so sorry...I can be a ear for anything you need if you have no dh or and family near... screenname is ***@**** and for aim yaduhyaya
Some of these responses my seem a little harsh, but understand just like people who have not gone through depression dont understand how severe it is, for those that have had a hard time conceiving, they dont understand the idea of terminating a healthy pregnancy.  

My offer still stands if you want to talk, or just need someone to listen.
Par, i am sorry you are going through this and really wish i had some words of encouragement. Do you maybe have a local church you can go to and talk with your Pastor? Just trying to throw some different suggestions out there. I definitely dont think an abortion will solve anything because its not guaranteed to relieve you of your depression and like another poster said, it may worsen your depression.