Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Trouble sleeping

I'm currently 18.5 wks pregnant, and over the last week or so, have had alot of trouble sleeping.  Usually I fall asleep okay, but by 3 or 4 am I am awake and toss and turn the rest of the night.  I finally stopped having to get up in the middle of the night to pee, but now I'm still not getting a good nights sleep.
Will this pass, or will it only get worse?  I've been trying to sleep on my left side, and have even put a pillow between my legs to try to get comfortable, but I'm so used to falling asleep on my back.  Just hoping that this might be a phase that will pass. Can anyone offer any suggestions?  Thanks.
Sorry sweetie!!!!!!!!!!
It only gets worse from your point on.
I do the left side thing and the pillow between my knees and under my belly and the pillow goes with me when I roll over. Sometimes I end up on my back and hubby will wake me up telling me to get off my back.....(not good for baby)
About the time you "might" get used to sleeping on your side you will end up waking up to pee every hour again.
Good Luck.
Vikki
It does get worse.  I am in my 25th week and it is HORRIBLE!
I am so used to sleeping on my back.  My husband has to push me on my side during the night.  I also get up all through the night tossing and turning and find that my stomach hurts from the ligaments stretching.......I I have been trying so hard to stay on one of my sides but it hurts when I move.  You can only try so hard.  If you end up on your back in the middle of the night it is no big deal....just switch positions.

Gina
Michelle, I know exactly what you mean. I have been waking up between 1 am and 4 am every night for over 3 weeks. I am near out of my mind. I am only 7 weeks pregnant. I think it's hormones and worrying with me. It's aweful. I get up and eat and still can't sleep for long. GRRRRRR
I think we are all right there with you.  I don't think I have had a good nights sleep since I got pregnant.  I am 14 weeks and have stopped getting up 3-4 times a night to pee, just down to 1-2 now, but I can't get comfortable and if I get woke up for some stupid reason forget going back to sleep.  Hang in there!  

That is why I always tell women who don't yet have kids to enjoy sleep before you get pregnant because as soon as you are pregnant you don't get a good sleep. First you are getting up to pee every hour, then you are so uncomfortable, then the baby comes and they don't sleep, then mother nature takes over and you don't get a deep sleep because you are on guard 24 hours worrying and keeping ears open for any movement, stirring and anticipating your babies next feeding. Ah, the joys of pregnancy and motherhood.  

Thanks for all the feedback.  Deep down I knew it was only going to get worse, I was just hoping someone might tell me that it will go away.  One can only hope!  I guess it doesn't help that we have 2 labs, and usually one is always at our feet and the other hops up from time to time throughout the night to cuddle.
Thanks again for all the comments. I guess I'll just suffer through it, and I'm not looking forward to the summer ugh!
Hey girly!!!!!  I am with you on the summer thing.  I can only imagine how hot I will be trying to sleep.  I sleep alright until about 3 and then I am up and in the bathroom and then cannot go back to sleep.  It is getting hard to toss and turn also.  Last night I got a backache and headache and couldn't sleep.  Like everyone else said though it will get worse.  I think it is our bodies way of preparing us for lack of sleep once the baby comes.  If possible try to nap during the day.  That helps me on the weekends.  Well Good Luck to you and I hope you sleep well soon.
When I was pregnant, the doctor let me take benedryl to help me sleep at night. Ask your doctor about that.
what's with the complaint of sleeping on your back?? don't get it.  if your back is comfy sleep on it???

confused

if this is about that old wives tale about colapsing the babies cord....i asked my doctor about that when i was pg with son and she said that it shouldn't even be a worry.  she said the baby floats in so much fluid for one thing, second the baby doesn't weigh enough at this point in time to be able to do that, and third she said you will get way to uncomfortable sleeping like that long before it could ever do any harm (or your baby will and kick you to get you to move) she did say that the only time this tale could possibly have any valididty would be when the baby is at it's biggest and that would be at the VERY end of your pg.

so sleep well your baby will kick you into shape :)hahaha

~nanci
i don't think i've had a good night's sleep since my first pregnancy - my daughter is 2 1/2 now.  sleep while you're pregnancy is uncomfortable and unrestful.  then, once they're born....we'll let's just say it doesn't get better.  but of course, it's all worth it.  i doubt anyone here would disagree with that!!  

My dr told me that if you sleep on your back it blocks the blood flow to the placenta and to the rest of your body.  She is really big on not sleeping on your back.  Also, if you suffer from Braxton Hicks, sleeping/lying on your back can cause MORE of them.  I was getting them at 20 weeks and have not really had too many of them since I have been lying on my sides.

Gina
EDD 08/07/04
Nina is right, sleeping or exercising on your back can cause Vena Cava Syndrome. This position can cause the growing uterus to restrict blood return through the vena cava which lies directly behind the abdomen.
and not only is it harmful to the baby but to you as well.  it can cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure/fainting etc.  i am pretty sure it's safe to sleep on your back until around the 4th month.
ha ha ha aha hahahahahaha  i knew that would strike a cord. you guys are awsome.  i'm just telling you what my doc said. personally i'm a tummy sleeper anyway. but i still think you would get to uncomfortable before it would hurt anything, just thinking about laying on my back with a big ol' belly stickin' staight up makes me want to roll over.  

ok ok well in that case have you tried using a body pillow?  not just a pillow in between your legs a big long pillow you rest your whole body agaist.  you might try something like that propped up behind you so you get the feeling of lying on your back but the pillow will keep the pressure to one side.

good luck to you.
i'll send you sand man dust instead (haha)

~nanci
UUmmmmm...maybe I am wrong, but I would defintly try other things before taking ANY med for sleeping.

But hey that's just me. I am not one to jump into taking a med unless VERY NECESSARY anyway, but I guess if there is no other way you can sleep.....

Just not something I would do personally. BTW, if you are nursing, taking antihistamines can dry you up and I am not sure what affect they have and how long before you give birth.

Just my 2 cents.
I am with nanakay. I matter what I say around here any more, some one always has something to say about it. From now on I am not going to say a word. Good luck you Chloe and Capermom for I will not be coming back. I am a mother of 2 but I guess my experience is not good enough for people that someone always has something bad to say about what I say.
i hope you're just kidding...i was simply writing about what i've read - some people might not know that they shouldn't sleep on their back after the 4th month!
I, too, hope you are kidding. I wasn't bashing what you were saying, just offering my own opinion on the topic as well. Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I would hope we were all adult enough to offer differing viewpoints on one topic without getting offended by the differing viewpoint.

Sorry, maybe I was wrong.
Please, offer me advice on how I could have better worded my own post so as not to offend you. That was truly not my intention.

wo horsy.....i didn't mean anything by saying i knew it would stike a cord.  i think it is great that everyone has such different opinions.  if it makes you feel better to sleep on your side then by all means.  theses ladies have all just told what they were told by their doc.  just like real humans doctors all have different opinions too, if you trust your doc like i trust mine then listen whole heartedly to what he/she says.

sorry, i REALLY do think it's great how everyone chimes in. it is always good to hear new opinions.

~nanci
Personally, I don't think that anyone should say sorry.  You log on to an open forum and should expect "open" opinions and advice.  That is what this forum is all about; people offering their advice and ideas on other people's questions and concerns.
Hi, I understand your restroom-can't fall back sleep-next restroom trip syndrome. Because I had been there, even a month ago. I complained to people and wished that I could have even a single night of good sleep. But now I miss that busy and sleepless nights so much. I wish that I would still be that way so that my baby would be with me. I miscarried. I did not recognize how wonderful it was until I lost it. So good luck to you all and enjoy your happy healthy pregnancy minute by minute.

Maggie
i see your point - i agree that it's all worth it in the end.  maybe we'll all appreciate our "symptoms" a little more!  i am so sorry for your loss.