Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Weight gain

When I was around 21 weeks, I found out I had gained about 36 pounds.  My doctor thinks it's normal.  I started off at 114 pounds, my ideal weight.  I was told normally I would gain about 15-20 pounds, the most 35 pounds.  This is my second pregnancy, and I gained 52 pounds with my son, and Weighed out at 162 pounds.  And I was at 21 weeks, 149 pounds.  Does anybody think that's normal, because I sure don't.
It does sound a little high but you were tiny to begin with, if you dr was concerned they'd be all over you about it. I started at 115 and I am 35 weeks and I now weigh 150.5, my dr has told me since I hit 140 that I was gaining too much. I have been tracking my weight on www.verybestbaby.com  its very helpful.
Maybe genetically your going to gain 52 lbs whether you watch or not.  I'm convinced that is my story since with my DS I gained 50+ and I have gained 35 so far and I still have 5 weeks.  I am very good with what I eat (as good as a pregnant woman can be !).
If it bothers you just watch what you eat, a little lighter on the carbs and more fruits/veggies.  Just don't loose any !
I'm with wisegirl (she is wise, after all :). If your Dr thought it was too much, she would be all over it. Also, being very small, you need to gain more weight than the average woman to support your pregnancy. But, because you were small, I'm guessing that's why you are stressed about it.
I am also on the small-average side (though not as light as you, I'm afraid, and gained 20 pounds at 20 weeks. My Dr thought that was lovely, even though I was less than impressed. I gained 37 with DD (or maybe more-perhaps I stopped counting...), and expect to gain around the same this time. I have heard of many women your size gaining 50+ pounds, so you may as well brace yourself, and don't worry! You obviously got back to your pre-pregnancy weight the last time, so you will this time too!
:)
I am in the same boat.  I am due in 3 weeks and have gained 50 pounds so far.  My doctor told me mid way that i was gaining too much, but i could not help it.  i continued exercising, eating as healthy as i could (not snacking, over doing it etc) and I kept gaining.  I was about 130-135 prepreg and 5'9.  I think it will be fine.  I also agree with the genetically going to gain that much.  My mom was tiny when she was pregnant (100 lb 5'6) and gained 65 pounds.  So, I say it is genetic!
My doctor said that it does depend on your weight before you get pregnant, but that it can be unhealthy to gain more than 35 pounds with one baby.  The only thing I am concerned about is that you have to continue to gain weight for the baby's sake and you have almost half a pregnancy to go.  Having a joing disease, I worry about extra weight on people because it can hurt their joints.  I hate to think of people in pain.  If you are feeling good, and your doctor says it is fine; I wouldn't be to concerned.
As long as you're eating healthy and drinking lots of water, that's what's important. However, every woman's body is different. I am 26 weeks and have gained 10 lbs. I was worried I wasn't gaining enough. Doctor said just to eat healthy, don't eat a lot of junk food and that every woman progresses at her own rate. I know women who've gained 65 lbs. during their pregnancy and others who've gained no more than 15. We're all unique! :)  Hang in there...once your precious bundle arrives, your pregnancy weight gain will be the farthest thing from your mind! Good luck, sweetie!
Thank you so much for all of the comments and advice.  I guess I was afraid of gaining too much too quick.  The reason my doctor doesn't say anything about it, is because they don't start recording your pre-pregnancy weight til 12 weeks.  I am in the Air Force, and found all branches do that.  He says I have gained only 19 pounds, when I have actually gained 36.  Thank you everybody though, for the advice and support.