Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Why does my period blood smell like vinegar and is brown?

ok so I’m really embarrassed and I don’t know what to do. I’m 14 and on my period but it smells really bad basically like vinegar and it’s strong and the blood most of the time is brown. Normally even when I’m not on my period there is white stuff on my underwear and it also smells really bad. I don’t know what to do, I don’t want to go to the doctors or tell my parents because it’s embarrassing. I know most of you guys are going to say I shouldn’t be embarrassed but I am. I think it’s a BV and if it is I don’t know how to cure it. please help
No one wants an odor.  If it is foul, that is indeed a sign of BV.  That requires antibiotics.  And most women will get BV at one time or another in their life. While I understand it's a little embarrassing, I can tell you from having been to doctors for various things related to my vagina over my long life . . .  doctors really don't care. That's part of their every day world. At your age though, periods are irregular and brown blood might mean you are really working on having a true period.  That's often spotting if there is no red.  BV, just so you know has a bad odor but thin, watery usually greyish discharge.  It is not thick discharge.  And for some women, there blood does have a smell.  Don't douche but do wash around the folds of your vagina.  It all feels embarrassing at your age but gynecological care is just part of a woman's life.  Your mom will understand.  Talk to her.  Really, that's what mom's are for.  good luck
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
62.5k Questions