help

Hello Ladies,

This is my first time on the site and i was hoping someone could help. I just had a period that ended on Saturday. I went to the doctor on Monday and to my surprise i am pregnant. i am really excited but the nurses freaked me out because they say it was bad i had my period. Has anyone had a similar experience? I would love some advise. Thank you.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Were you late starting this most recent period? Was your period as heavy as it usually is, or lighter and shorter?

I think your situation requires more time as it could go either way. I've known people (one being my mother) who had "periods" - lighter than normal spotting - throughout their pregnancies and had absolutely normal, healthy babies. I also know that you can test positive for a while after you miscarry because the hormone levels in your body have not come back down to a non-pregnant state.

I think it was wrong of the nurse to say it was "bad" that you had a period because of the anxiety that it creates for you, but I think that her intentions may have been to prepare you in case you may have had a false reading due to a miscarriage very early in the pregnancy - which may have been an ectopic one, even.

Maybe this article will help: http://www.*****************.org/gettingpregnant/pregnancyfaq.htm

Wish you the best!
Helpful - 0
I would get another dr! The nurse should of never told you that! SOme woman have a period the whole time the are pregnant. If it was a period and not bleeding then it is fine.

If they arte worried they need to check your projesterone. sometimes you can bleed from it being too low and also from a sub chorionic hematoma. I had one with this last one and bleed for llike 2 weeks on and off. It is from the baby trying to come loose when it first attaches. There is nothing to worry baout them though unless they are behind the placenta. You would of kept bleeding though so it sounds like in your case you just ahd a period!

Tell your dr what she said and that it worried you and you did not like it and to expolain and run tests for your peice of mind. He should be willing to do this.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.