in hospital...full bedrest due to more bleeding

Well, here I am.  26.5 weeks and in the hospital surrounded by healthy, crying, full term babies and praying I make it to at least 32wks!
I had another bleeding episode from my SCH and I came to L&D on Tuesday night.  My cervix is still closed and baby is doing fine but I am here until Friday and they gave me steroid shots to help the baby's lungs develop should I go into preterm labour. My u/s didn't show any "new" hemorrhages so I feel like it must be from the old one but my OB hasn't discussed the results with me yet so I'm waiting on that.
I live on an island that is an hour at least from the hospital and nurses and OB are worried that if I do go into early labour that my baby will come pretty fast.  My mum says I can live with her for 2 months but seriously, I have 2 young boys and a husband...I want to go home where I'm most comfortable.  I just don't know what to do.
Sorry to be such a venter.  I'm just really confused and worried.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I was in the hospital for almost two months with one of my pregnancies (and a few weeks with another). It was really hard to be in a room with other babies and happy stories- not to mention it was hard to sleep. I had to keep telling myself over and over it was for the good of my baby. I also had the steroid shots (which really do hurt) over a period of two days and wasn't allowed up to even shower without a nurse. I must admit too that I cried a lot when I realized I would not be able to see my two other children at home and I did feel isolated and alone (despite the flowers being sent in by others). It did not help ticking off days off a calendar (I tried that, it made it more depressing) but I did end up deciding to do things I had been putting off for a while- arranging photos, scrapbooking, journaling and I complied a huge list of books I figured I would read. I also watched a lot of Oprah ;) and was thankful to have a TV (I know other women who have needed their ipods or dvds to get by). I brought in pictures of my kids, made sure that they did get a chance to visit me and I invited everyone I knew to stop by. Some very kind friends understood and brought me magazines & treats (hospital food ***** after a while). Do you have a private room at all? In my second hospital stay, I had a private room which did help. In the first stay, they decided to pair me with women who were young & needed help breastfeeding, etc. I took it on and decided I might as well be motherly and help the younger women out (even if it meant just advice or words of encouragement from my bed!) I do wish that some women did not decide at 12am to call their loved ones back home or to eat super crunchy chips and then decide to burp loudly (or snore loudly). I also started compiling a list of names that people gave their children, starting betting on which name would be most popular that week, guessing boy/girl/twins and even got asked to recommend some names. So it sucked being all cooped up but looking back, obviously it was the best thing possible for me. I delivered early, but the baby was healthy (and tiny!) but all went ok. At 26.5 weeks, you have a great chance of having a successful delivery & healthy baby (but premature, of course) and each day that goes by is a huge milestone. You really have made it to a very safe zone and the fact you are surrounded by nurses & doctors is a good thing. Even if you make it a couple more weeks, the survival rate of your baby is really high. Just take it one day at a time, make sure people know you want the company and try to figure out a good routine each day. There is some peace in knowing what each day will bring. Also, don't forget to ask ahead of time for special meals- they really can give you more or different variety if you are there longer term. The other thing you may want to consider is a daily love journal to your baby- write down everything that you are experiencing and it's a great time to write them letters for when they grow up (you can do this too for your other children since you have time on your hands). If you end up going home on Friday (tomorrow?) then make sure you get your mum's help-bedrest is bedrest and with 2 other little guys around it's so had to stick to it. Good luck! I will pray you make it quite a ways yet before you deliver :)
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much for all of your great advice.  It's a challenge but I keep telling myself it won't be forever.  I really appreciate all of your kind words and advice. Thank you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.