rsv

I have an 11 month old with rsv today is heart rate is avg 176bpm and his resp rate is 50 plus. This has been ongoing, he is hospitalized and on ventilation treatments. He is listless and we are worried, how long can a babies breathing and heart rate work this hard before he goes into  distress. The nursing staff think we are over reacting and the pediatrician send a resident in who didn't even read the babies blood work, said he did, but this is his third day of admission and no blood work drawn. We are getting scared, what can we ask next? They have not done blood gases, just rsv swab and cxray on admission. Help us! Desperate
Are they checking his oxygen saturation level?  This is done with a tiny finger or toe monitor that has a red light on it.  If his sats are consistently good, that's a good sign that he is coping well.  
Does the pediatrician see him every day, or are you only seeing a resident?  If you are only seeing a resident and are not happy with the care being provided, insist on talking with the chief resident about your baby's plan of care. You have the right to ask this, but they may try to intimidate you out of it.  Be firm.

If a pediatrician is actually visiting every day but leaving the routine management to the resident, you need to corner the pediatrician and make sure he/she understands that you are concerned about your baby's condition.  

Minimally. they should be monitoring the baby's sats (oxygen saturation level) several times a day.  To be sure he's getting enough oxygen.  

I'm sorry I'm not a peds nurse, so I don't have any other info on what they should or shouldn't be doing.  
I'm sorry for your little one.  My boys have battled this one many times.  Cameron got it at 10 weeks and we had to go to the hospital for a bit, but his oxygen levels were stable, so we got to go home, but had to go in daily for a week or so and have his levels checked.  They had us come in quite often, and we still do since Cam has been through so much and has a really reactive airway.  Since he was our second baby to go through this, our ped felt pretty confident letting us take him home and check in daily, but he must have been in better shape, he did not need a ventilator, or are you talking about neb treatments?  It's scary to watch, Cam had it again last month and he was sweating he was working so hard to breathe, their chests heave so much and he was wheezing and gasping for air.  He also did the choking and gagging spells.  I would agree with everything Peek said, she's a great resource.  I would talk to the Dr. about your concerns.  I would not worry so much about blood draws, RSV is a virus that should pass in a week or so usually, but it causes such an issue with breathing.  I would check to see if they have a monitor for pulse ox- like Peek said, will check the oxygen levels.  When they dip below 90 most Dr.'s will really watch it.  Cam was at 89, but he held consistent and only dropped a couple times, so after a few hours of being watched, we were allowed to take him home and had to neb every 4 hours, even when he was sleeping, but we got no sleep anyway.  He is also on steroids for his breathing and a steroid inhaler, and Singulair.  How scary for you guys, I hope your little one is feeling better soon and home well.  If the Dr. and nurses feel good about him, I bet he's doing okay.  It's tough to watch though, and it does take some time to get better.

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.