vicodin durinng pregnancy

i am 30 weeks pregnant and just had a tooth extracted yesterday. i had an Ob appt immediatly following the dentist and my Ob prescribed me a small script (6pills) of vicodin. i expressed concern but she said that due to me being 7mths pregnant it was ok to take them. and its better for myself and my baby to not be in pain.

since i see a differant doc everytime im there and its so non-personal(my doc appointments), i have a bit of a trust issue with this doc office.

so i guess im asking for further opinions on this issue. ive already taken some of the pills. but cant help some feelings of guilt, as if im doing something wrong.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Is there anyone out there with a similar story as mine?  Where you were taking the same medications (vicoden, xanax and excederin) and didn't know you were pregnant and then found around 6 weeks that you were?  I was not taking the vicoden  and xanax everyday before I found, out just a few times.  However, I was taking excederin every single day, because I suffer from migrains.  Please let me know because I'm worried sick!
Helpful - 0
What's done is done.  If you've stopped, that's great!  If you were on Vicodin and Xanax long term, I'm concerned enough to ask if you stopped cold turkey or not.  This may not be advisable to do, and you should seek out the advice of your OB about tapering.   Please do be honest with your OB about what you were taking early in pregnancy.  Chances are very high that everything will be fine, but your doctor needs to be aware.

Don't take any product with aspirin or Motrin in it.  Not sure if the excedrin you were talking about was aspirin free, or regular.  Look at the label to be sure.
Helpful - 0
I just found out I was pregnant and the doctor said I was about 6 weeks.  I'm so scared that I have already hurt the baby, because I've been taking vicoden, xanax and excederin.  Can someone please give me some advise or comments.  I have stopped, but could I have hurt my baby?
Helpful - 0
Boosty, she did talk to her doctor.  She saw her doctor immediately following the dental appointment.  Her doctor is the one who prescribed the medication.  Sometimes, pregnant women need to have other dental work done during pregnancy because the benefit outweighs the risk.  
Helpful - 0
i dont think youre supposed to do anything at the dentist office but for teeth cleaning while youre pregnnat. call your doctor and if you can, stay off those meds until then. take tylenol
Helpful - 0
I would have to say that what you have been given and for the reason you have been given them, you are okay taking them. As HouseOfGirls said, it is a small amount of medication for a very valid medical reason. I, too, had a couple occasions to need vicodin while pregnant with each of my kids in the early 3rd trimester and was comfortable taking it because I knew the benefits outweighed the risks involved.

Good luck. You can  always call your local pharmacy and speak with the pharmacist for reassurance as well.
Helpful - 0
Normally I would tell you to talk to your doctor about this, but you have already done that! :)  If you are taking them for pain, as prescribed, you shouldn't have a problem.  6 pills isn't much to begin with.  I took pain medication a couple times during my last pregnancy.  I took them as prescribed and only for a few days.  The main issue with the vicodin is when people take them in large quantities or all the time.  And of course if they are taken close to birth, there could be breathing problems in the newborn or withdrawal.  My rule of thumb is to take the least amount needed to control the pain.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.