Women's Health: Postpartum Community

wks19-23: 11 lb weight gain normal?

For each of my previous (four week interval) dr visits, the nurse would weigh me in at a 1 lb weight gain total for those four weeks. At this visit I had on Wednesday, I have apparently gained 11 lbs in four weeks. Does this sount pretty normal to you guys? The dr didnt mention anything about it and Im just curious of what your weight gains were around my same gestational time.
I wouldn't worry...I think all pregnancies are different...With my daughter I was so sick I lost weight for the first four months & was told repeatedly by my doctors (& ER doctors when I wound up in hospital) that it was ok, that the baby is getting all the nourishment it needs which is probably why I was so sick - she was sucking it out of me =). I caught up quickly after that & managed to put on 45 lbs on my last 5 months of preg. Hope this helps!
At my 18 week appointment I found I gained 12 pounds in 6 weeks.  My doctor didn't mention it to me either.  I was the one asking if that was too much (I kind of figured it was) and how much was I supposed to have gained.  She said a half a pound a week.  That meant that I was at 2 pounds a week!  She told me don't beat myself up and just to start walking daily and cutting my carbs like potatoes, rice and bread.  She didn't seem concerned.  I guess it's like you can't go back and lose it, nor is it healthy to try and lose it so just move forward.  The last pregnancy I gained 40 pounds so she told me that we were at least trying not to have that happen again. We'll see!  I have a good appetite!  Of course they say 25-35 is ideal for the entire pregnancy but I don't know how many people actually stuck to that!
I'm into my second trimester and have gone from 138lbs to 155...and to top it all off, I'm on pelvic rest due to a subchorionic bleed that needs to heal. I'm feeling like a huge whale at the moment. My doc says "no exercise". I'm also starting to show at 14 weeks. Has anyone else started to show this early?
Well with Kennedy I gained 60 and I'm 5'11" 150lbs. Then with Carrigan I gained 50. In one month I put on 11lbs and they never said a word to me. The only thing they told me was that as long as my blood pressure was not high, then they were not worried about how much weight I had gained. And with each pregnancy I was in maternity clothes by 8 wks......
i hope that isnt too much, i gained 12 lbs on my first visit and i was only 9 weeks prego!!!
In the end it seems to balance out. With Jonathan I gained 10 pounds right away and then lost 20, didn't gain an ounce until I started my third trimester and in the last 2 weeks of my pg I gained 20 lbs (mostly water) my overall total was close to 50, but by 2 weeks PP, I had lost it all.

It wouldn't be unusual to have a month where you gain and then a month when it slows. As long as the doctor isn't concerned, your shouldn't be!

Andi
Yeah, the doctors don't seem too concerned with your weight. When I had my twins, I tested positive for gestational diabetes at 28 weeks, had to cut my carbs and didn't gain any weight for 6 weeks!!! Although this worried me, it didn't bother my dr. at all...
i gained 11 pounds 2 months in a row during my pregnancy and a total of 53.  dont let it bother you.  your body will do what it needs to support the pregnancy.
That sounds normal to me:)  I was sick the first 4 weeks and actually lost 5 pounds the first 4 months the fifth month I gained 9, the sixth month 10 lbs.  I'm 5 ft 7 and 125 pounds pre pregnancy - at the end of my pregnancy I was hitting 180.  I breastfed and ended up losing it all plus some within a few months.  Don't worry.  I thought of it as the one time in my life I could eat what I wanted and not feel guilt about it.  My second daughter was 2 months early b/c of previa and I had already gained 50 pounds when I delivered.  I am not one of those people who can only gain 25/30 pounds.
i know very few people who actually only gain 25-30 pounds.
With DD i gained 36lbs, Dr told me that was normal for me since i was under weight when i got pregnant. He actually told me if that he thought i would gain anywhere from 35-50lbs, I was 110lbs whe i got pregnant with her.

With this baby, at my 28 week check up i've put on 19lbs so far. Again i was under weight when i got pregnant with this one, i was only 108lbs so he thinks i will gain the same amount that i did with DD.
It only took me three weeks to lose the same amount of weight with my second. Considering they were over 8 lbs each,and I had a lot of water weight most of it came off purely through the delivery, the rest came off through nursing. Best fitness plan in the world in my mind, how else can you lose that much weight in such a short amount of time with no cardio, right?

Andi

BTW, I haven't met many who stayed within the 25-35 pound range either. : )