Blood clots while menstrating

Since this months period began I have been having a lot of blood loss. I have had nothing but blood clots. I don't feel sick or anything. My periods are really abnormal. I was wondering what causes blood clots while on period.
I had them every month from when I started my period until I got on the pill. I don't have clots since being on the pill. They must be normal though 'cause I had them for about 8 years and everything is fine.
I have heard that the blood clots are made up of the old uterine lining, but dont quote me on that :)
With my second period after I got off the birth control I sware I gave birth to one. I know its gross, but its true. They were also accompanied by horrible cramps. The clots are normal.
i hate to scare you , but alot of times, people have miscarriage and they think its a period. it happens alot. its very common. my doctor says alot of women have it and they dont know. it comes and goes like  a period in a very early pregnnacy. i swear i didnt mean to scare you. but since i dont know much about blood clots, thats just something that i have read. that doesnt mean thats your case at all.
I take one aspiring a month , not during period. And I am sure blod clots has to do with hormonal disbalance, that is why getting on pill helps