Nuva Ring, Mood Reaction

I am considering switching from the pill to Nuva Ring, however much of the research I have been doing on nuva ring has turned up mixed reactions.  While I understand that this is true for any medication, I still have questions I can't find the answers to.  My biggest concern is the effect of nuva ring on emotional stability.  Of course, the company's website warns that mood swings are a possible side effect (I think that is a side effect for any form of hormonal birth control).  What I would like to know is whether the nuva ring is more likely to cause negative emotional side effects than the pill is.  I have heard mixed reviews, some people emotionally crash on it and others notice nothing; is this just something I am going to have to buckle down and test for a month?  If so, how do I monitor my own side effects to decide if it is having a negative effect on me?  
I was using Low-ogestrelfor over a year,in March i started using the nuvaring,and een when everybody says they dont feel it sometimes during my day after sitting for a while it feels like it is moving.I been going through allot of things for the last month emptionally and feel down and,feeling super sad been crying everyday lately
This response may contain graphic content.
Please or to view.
Holy smokes thank goodness for this website.

I have been pushing away as many friends as possible, sometimes feel like I want to punch the kids I work with, have no sex drive or desire to date, don't enjoy drinking any alcohol and if i do I get super negative.  I offend people regularly, feel like I have already lost friends or said things that were inappropriate.  I keep waiting for the side effects to go away because I know that they do - but in the meantime I am in hell.  The doctor thinks I am being crazy, but that's because i feel it. I have had severe pain in my right knee that went away for the three weeks that I was in Hawaii, I could never figure out why - but while i was there I took out the ring for part of the time I was there ... I am curious how it will change when I go off it again. I am going to a naturopath to see if they have any suggestions, as the doctor wants to put me on lithium for manic!! seriously doc, chill out, hormones are complicated!  
I was on Nuvaring for about 3 months. I liked how easy it was. I had been on a couple different birth control pills previously but switched to the nuvaring because of sexual numbness. I hoped switching to the ring would help get my libido back and I had heard it was more natural. I liked not taking a pill everyday. It did not change my libido. I have decided that I can be on bc and not want sex at all (which leads me to not have sex anyhow) or be off the bc and just be extra careful. One thing I notice after being off the nuvaring- I had developed a sense of emotionsl numbness- not in a bad way though. Nothing could upset me. I liked being very unemotional- almost disconnected (happy though). Now that I have been off the ring, I want sex again, but feel emotional. Its interesting because others say that the ring made them emotional wrecks, but it helped me be less emotional and rational. I can't decide what I want more... To want sex or to want complete rationality.
I put the Nuvaring in yesterday and have had suicidal thoughts all day. I took it out earlier and hoping it gets out of my system fast.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I had severe mood swings while using nuva ring sharp chest and abdominal pains;leg pain in my left leg; shortness of breath (easily winded); weight gain due to significant amounts of retaining fluids thats obviously cause by the usage of the drug. The leg pains I didn't understand because I don't smoke therefore there should not be a Harvard for poor circulation as they have cautioned on the box. I was ready to  either kill myself or some one else....very irate and my anxiety level was through the roof it was so bad my doctor prescribed me and anti depression/ anti anxiety med. never did she think to research the problem  and make reference to my birth control. nuva ring is convienient but dangerous.
Hi Dallas!!!  All you have to do is show her all the law suites on line just google Nuvaring lawsuits and you will see.  there are hundreds!!! This is a terrible form of birthcontrol and very dangerous.
NuvaRing literally has turned me into an unstable psycho. I'm paranoid about every move my boyfriend makes, I cry every 5 seconds for every emotion, and my life is basically a living hell and I didn't realize why. I'm taking it out right now!
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
I recently went on Nuva Ring around 2 weeks ago, and honestly it turned me psycho. At first I just had depression mood swings, but I didn't pay any mind because I thought my body might become more adapted to the hormonal change, but this morning I woke up and I couldn't even process any thoughts I was so depressed. It's like everything wrong in your life suddenly increases by 1,000,000. I didn't know if it was the Nuva Ring, or if I was really depressed so I talked to my mother and she told me that it may be all the hormones in the Nuva Ring. So I figured I would take it out to see if my moods got an better. Within the next hour I was feeling fine again! So let's just say NO MORE NUVA RING FOR THIS LITTLE CHICK!
I loved the convenience of nuvaring, but I was also having suicidal thoughts, anxiety, chest palpitations, loss of libido, insomnia and weight gain due to not having any energy!!! Thanks for listening girls. I removed mine just today after using it off an on. My significant other will have to either suffer the effects of me being a total b-word, wear a "raincoat" or enjoy having a little pitter patter around the house. I am good with the latter as opposed to suffering the way I was. Namaste.
Please or to view.
Your comments have been so helpful. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

Because I had anxiety and depression while on the pill, my doctor encouraged me to try NuvaRing. Within the first 2 days of insertion I was experiencing severe mood swings and anxiety similar to what I felt when I was on the pill. At first I thought my body was adjusting. I couldn't believe the ring would effect me so quickly. On day 3, I freaked out on my boyfriend and broke up with him over a joke he made. Today, day 5, I felt extreme anxiety, started crying uncontrollably, and had trouble breathing. It felt like I couldn't control my emotions no matter how hard I tried. I started thinking negative things about myself, and even had thoughts of hurting myself, which has never happened before. Talk about scary! After reading the reviews here I see the ring can undoubtedly effect your thoughts and emotions, despite what docotors say. Doctors need to acknowledge these side effects and warn their patients! Needless to say, the ring is gone!! I don't know what we'll be using for birth control going forward, but anything is better than feeling like this.
Hi All, I am so glad I found this web page it has shed a lot of light!!!
I have been using the Nuva ring for about a year now and have found myself feeling very sad after a period. The littlest thing makes me cry and I have the worst temper flying off the handle over minute things. God knows how I am still engaged! I really think it is the NR I have been on all the contaception available the pill i forget, the copper IUD made my periods long, heavy and very painful and I had to come off the injection as I had been on it for 3 years and my doc told me that was the max due to it not being good for your bones. I really dont know where to turn next I cant stay like this being a tempremental monster either crying or screaming over ridiculous things I have absolutely no patience and it seems to be much worse after I have put my ring in following a period.  I suppose for some people it works but others it can cause alsorts of problems. anyone have any ideas of other options I can excercise? Thanks  
DO NOT I repeat DO NOT use the nuvaring if you have any history at all of depression or anxiety. I have struggled with these in the past but have never behaved the way I did while using it. I felt like I couldn't control my own actions and I felt completely hopeless and crazy. I took it out on people I love and damaged many relationships in my life. After taking it out I had energy again and started to relax and enjoy life.

That being said, I am wondering if anyone on here has found an effective birth control that doesn't change you mentally.. any suggestions??
Please or to view.
Please or to view.
have you tried an iud. it is the only thing that doesnt mess with me mentally. and i have tried everything... depo, the "mini pill", the pill, nuva ring. over a course of ten years. also do you have any children?
Please or to view.
I was on the NuvaRing for four months, maybe five and within three days I felt like I was going crazy. I figured my body would adjust but four months later my relationship is in shambles and my boyfriend swears that I am not attracted to him anymore. The very thought of him touching me disgusted me and I would go into these rages where I would be inconsolable. I would cry and yell and laugh and cry and laugh and yell and cry - its a wonder he's still with me. TODAY - I took out the ring off cycle and mentally I feel more level headed. We argued again today but it didn't end in a blow up. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, maybe its the NuvaRing but it felt good to not be so dag on emotional about EVERYTHING! More importantly, we ended our day on a great note and I can't WAIT for him to get home. ;-) Bye Bye Nuvaring.
Start by asking her if she has been happy or if she has noticed a change in the way she feels.  Chances are she has like the rest of us.  Then tell her you started doing some research because you have noticed a significant change and came across the NuvaRing Side Effects.  I didn't even make it a week on this thing.  I hope she figures it out soon becasue it will change her life!  You guys aren't alone... Good luck!
I was on the nuva ring for about 3 weeks, this week I just had a complete meltdown, a panic/anxiety attack and bawling because I literally felt like a maniac. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I had really nasty ovary pains constantly, and really awful discharge daily. It never went away. I was so mean and blew up constantly to the people I loved most. I feel so bad for my guy, having to deal with this. the nuvaring isn't worth it. My dr did not say any of the symptom's I got the nuvaring had. Im so disappointed, but I felt better instantly as soon as I took it out. Im so glad I ran into this site because I have every symptom you ladies had as well. glad to know I wasn't alone. guess its condoms for me!
I have been on the Nuvaring for 5 or 6 years now and if you asked me a year ago I would say it was awesome. I quit smoking 10 months ago because I was feeling pains in my legs (I didn't realize until reading this forum that leg pains were also a side effect of the Nuvaring, I thought I was forming a blood clot). Not long after quitting smoking I started to get severe panic attacks. When the first one happened I seriously thought I was having a psychotic episode. I was convinced I had swallowed a sewing pin and that it was going to kill me. I was so distraught I couldn't function. I knew it was irrational but I couldn't contain my emotions. Since then they have been getting worse to the point it feels like I'm having a heart attack. I feel numbness or pain in my left arm and chest and all I can think about is dying. My sex drive is almost nonexistent. When I take it out I feel like my old self again. I'm actually a happier person ON my period. Last night I was about to put it in and I said to my husband (jokingly) "Get ready for a marked mood change!" but it was no joke. As soon as I put it in it was like a switch was flipped. I told my husband to suck my ****! WTH?? I was instantly angry and then I couldn't stop crying. In a matter of moments I had gone from cuddling my sweetie to cursing him out for no reason. I just got off the phone with my Dr and she is calling in a new prescription for me. I can't go thru this anymore, so long Nuvaring!
Hey man going through the same thing now.  If you get this how did it turn out?
Please or to view.
I'm so happy I found this website. I tried to research side effects to the Nuvaring on their website and found nothing of this. I've only had mood swings like this when I was pregnant. They aren't normal mood swings like with PMS. It's definitely an out of body experience. You can watch yourself overreact and can't control it. I have had now two incidents with my boyfriend this week that's ended in an argument. I'm happy to come across this site and see that people are experiencing the same things as me. I will be switching birth control ASAP so I don't completely destroy my relationship. It would've been nice to have this knowledge before I started.
My fiance just got on it about a week ago and she is going absolutely crazy. Saying she is going to kill her self accusing me of cheating, then finally tonight she just  it and just attacked me physically. I would never cheat on her or hit her but I am in shock of what just happened!  I can only explain it by saying that freaking ring is making her crazy.
Just started using NR a month ago. Im usually a laid back kind of girl. With my ocational upsets. But lately ive become this psycho crazy person. I thought it was the ring and figured its something to get used to. But now after reading all these comments now I know its the ring driving me crazy . I just hope I figured it out on time. My relationship has taken a huge hit due to my crazy psycho rants. I dont recomend this product at all. Especially if u are in a relationship. Lol. Taking this thing out today!  
I've been on the Nuvaring for 3 months, but this is it. I'm done with it. I've been very nauseous, I've had chest tightness, anxiety, panic attacks. I've never had any of these symptoms ever before. My PMS symptoms have been alleviated, but it really isn't worth it at this cost.
I am so so so happy i have found this blog!!!!

I have been on the NR for about 6 years now. I came across this site in a search to find out if there were any side effects from stopping the use of the NR.

I can't believe what i have found!

For the last 6 years i have had terrible spells of severe depression, mood swings, irritation, aggression, anger, sadness, uselessness, memory loss, headaches, being dry (down there), fatigue and lack of motivation for anything. I honestly have brushed it off as just being an incredibly emotional person who is not in control of her life or her emotions. Yes, I thought that i was crazy and very alone but I just thought i was messed up.... broken. Never once did i think maybe its my birth control making me feel this way.

I am 25 years old and my life has been a living hell since graduating high school which now that i am thinking about it was when i started taking the NR. I can now honestly say that i feel soooooooo much better being able to understand that the lack of control over my unpredictable and over the top emotions was not my fault. The NR has been a tornado destroying everything in its path for way to long!!! I am taking it out right now and will NEVER look back!

I have been on nuvaring for the past 3 years. I have had weight gain (20 lbs) this last year, random sharp excruciating pain for the last 3 years, bad acne (did not have acne before), VERY moody (I'm generally a happy person). I have never ever had depression and now I have it. I can hardly eat yet I am still gaining weight. I still exercise too. I just took out my ring today so hopefully I will be myself again. I've felt trapped for so long. I am now looking for a natural birth control with no hormones.
I was on it for a few years before I noticed anything, but then I noticed that I would cry for no good reason.  I would just feel so sad and couldn't figure out why.  I figured out that it could be the Nuva Ring that was causing it, so I stopped using it and sure enough the sadness and crying stopped.  It worked great for me for several years, but it is not worth risking my emotional stability.  If you want to try it, just be aware that this could be a side effect and pay close attention to how you feel.  
The nuvaring is the devil! I was on it for a month and I thought I felt so great but I was become agitated, having headaches that woke me up in the middle of the night screaming, numbness in my hands and feet and the scariest panic attacks that made me feel like I was having a heart attack. Then a few days before it was time for me to remove it for my period I became a total basket case, crying hysterically, falling into the deepest depression you can imagine, almost on the verge of wanting to hurt myself. I remained crazy for several days even after I removed it. I still didn't know it was the nuvaring so the following week I put it back in and the next day I was so nauseous and I lay in the fetal position with a heating pad for hours, I couldn't even take care of my two year old daughter. I was so irritable snapping at her. Then the same day I found this blog and removed the nuvaring right away! After a few hours I started to better. The next morning I woke up and I was back to my old happy self!!! NEVER USE THE NUVARING it is truly the DEVIL. No more birth control for this girl! Just condoms!
I have exactly the same, how long took it until it was gone again? Since I took it out 1 month ago I felt perfect fine again but now 20 days later after I got my period everything came back. I have the same problems since 3 days again. Did it come back for you several times until the hormones are gone completely out of the body?
So glad I found this page, I thought I was going crazy.  Have been on Nuvaring for one month and took it out last night.  It is unbelievable how much better I feel this morning.....I am not someone that has ever really been depressed but the last month has been hell, agitated at the slightest thing, snapping at my poor husband and children, crying uncontrollably for hours for absolutely no reason, nausea and my sex drive was non existent.....I was not warned about the extent any of these side effects by my doctor......when I woke up this morning I felt like someone had lifted a veil or cloud off of me, I feel like myself again from the first time in weeks and feel like I need to apologize to a whole list of people for my behavior over the last month......If you are considering nuvaring as an option for birth control, DON'T, its not worth it.....haven't decided what other contraceptive we will use now, probably back to condoms again......not great but preferable to nuvaring.......
I am so glad I found this page... Last year i was on Mirena and had bad side effects, caused cysts, horrible pain, anxiety..I had it removed in May 2013. In July 2013 I decided to try NUVARING. I thought it was the most amazing thing ever!!! I loved it, I still do besides the crazy, unbearable anxiety attacks Im having. I had anxiety way before starting nuvaring but never so much that i had an attack every day, multiple times a day. and the serious ones that came on out of nowhere, included fainting, blacking out, racing heartbeat? I had no idea what was happening to me.. in May 2014 this all started and hasn’t stopped since. I get hot, tingly, dizzy, nervous, weak in the knees, off balance I feel like i am dying. I also was just in a wreck(not a bad one either but hey ya never know); hands arms even feet got numb tingly, thought i had a pinched nerve? Wrong. and all this sometimes last for days at a time... I’ve been to doctor after doctor, chiropractor, just recently seen a cardiologist and had a 30 day event monitor placed on me to see if i had an irregular heartbeat also had an ECHO done, blood work you name it! Everything is perfect? absolutely nothing wrong? Last week was my week to have the ring out, i have started noting when i have attacks, I did not have one attack all week of my period which only lasted 4 days(unusual) but kept the ring out for 7 days(no attacks i actually felt great and normal). Yesterday it was time to put my ring back in. Once again last night i woke up to extreme anxiety and have been horrible ever since. Was up all night  decided to go back and track when i had the attacks and it clicked so of course i could not sleep and researched and now today i have found this, took my ring out 2 hours ago($69 wasted) but i already feel somewhat better? Guess I’m gonna have to give up the nuvaring and birth control for a while and pray this all goes away and i become myself once again! Scariest thing i have ever been through in my life. Mind you I’m only 21 and this has ruined my social life, and even caused big problems in my 5 year relationship because all i do is worry and complain about what is happening to me and its stressing my loved ones out just as much! Lord i hope this helps! Thanks guys!
Please or to view.
I am SO happy I found this page. This past year has been absolutely horrible for me (and my bf), but up until today I thought it was just me. I've been using the Nuva Ring for a few years now, but 2014 has been a living hell. I've dealt with depression in the past, but it was never this bad. My emotional instability has gotten out of control. I'm always angry, snap at everything (including my cats, for no reason), cry too easily, I've thrown things (need to patch the wall in a few places because of it), broken things, night sweats, zero motivation to do anything, have zero sex drive, very dry when I do try to have sex with my bf, etc. I also got fired this year from my job of almost 2 years because of my craziness. Like quite a few of the women on this page have said, my "fits" felt like an out of body experience. I know I shouldn't be freaking out so bad, but I can't control my actions or my words. It's as if my sex drive has left me, even though I'm still very attracted to my bf. Sometimes I don't want him to even touch me in a non-sexual place, like my shoulder. I could never understand why this was happening. I've holed myself up in my apartment and rarely leave, even to check the mail. I can't stand being in public and easily get panic attacks in the car or out running errands. After reading all of these comments, I took my ring out about an hour ago and have emailed my OBGYN to see if there are any other alternatives out there. I've been on the pill (multiple brands and doses of estrogen), the patch, and the depo shot, all of which (save for the depo shot, but that gave me osteopenia) have made me feel like a raging psycho. Not sure what else I can try, but I'm happy that I found the probable cause for all this. I just turned 30 last month, as well.
Please or to view.
I've been dealing with the same symptoms yall have! My boyfriend thinks I've gone crazy cause I've been so emotionally unstable! I've been using the uncaring for 3 years and I'm jus now starting to experience all this..I'm glad I found this blog
Everyone here just described my issues almost exactly. I felt like I was a mental patient. Extreme highs and lows, emotional reactions to little tiny things, lots of crying, etc.
My then boyfriend (now husband) was literally ready to leave me at that point. I was really that much of a mess. I went to my Dr and she advised me to take it out. Almost immediately, I felt like myself again. I haven't looked back since. I do NOT recommend the Nuvaring. The only upside is the convenience, other than that, it is NOT worth the mental health side effects
I am SO glad I've come across this. I started using the nuvaring in October and I've been suffering ever since. I'm not motivated, sad or irritated more times than not, and my once ravenous sex drive has literally vanished. Like, GONE. I workout 6days a week, lifting weights, etc and it's been like I've been in a slump not caring to go work out or anything but in the same thought literally hating myself with an extreme disgust. This is not me. I've had such low lows that suicide has entered my mind, just wanting to stop feeling!! You guys may have just saved my life. Thanks for posting. This ring is coming out NOW.
Please or to view.
I started NuvaRing 2 and a half weeks ago and my boyfriend told me we needed a break from our relationship because I was being so mean. About a week after inserting NR I became super depressed and couldn't even get off the couch for a whole week. I would get mad and super defensive. I would pick fights over stupid stuff where as when I'm not on NR I'm really chill and don't really get mad a lot. I haven't been able to sleep until 4 am and sleepy during the day. I started to cut myself and even had thoughts of suicide constantly. I just took it out because this is insane and I don't even feel like myself anymore.
Please or to view.
I just started my 3rd month of Nuva ring and i had noticed in the last month I had become very anxious and depressed to the point I started seeing a therapist. I thought it was due to my boyfriend and I breaking up 3 months ago but I had been fine up until this point. I threw crazy tantrums (about dumplings???) and was paranoid to the point of pushing everyone close to me away from me and screaming at them and cried hysterically over everything and nothing and couldn't concentrate on anything. The weeks where i took it out for my period were amazing and I felt fantastic and normal. Ive tried 2 types of the pill that made me depressed and anxious but no where near the extent of the NuvaRing! Its out now but jeez they really should warn you!!