Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

so worried

I had my breast biopsy on 2/9.  It showed early DCIS.  My surgeon says that I have to at least have more tissue removed, radiation and tamoxifen.  I am convinced that I need a bilateral mastectomy.  He is in agreement solely because of my current emotional state.  I have always had a cancer phobia and this diagnosis has sent me into a terrible state of fear.  I  don't think I can live worrying about this for the rest of my life - I am 42.  I think about nothing else when I am awake.  1.Could you tell me the what your personal opinion would be?  2.How curable is DCIS when it is caught early on a mammogram - with no lump?  3.What are the chances of this coming back in this breast or in the other if I elect breast-conserving surgery?  4.What are the chances of it or another cancer of the breast coming back if I have the bilateral mastectomy?  5.If I have the bilateral mastectomy, would it be safer to forego reconstruction in order to be able to keep a check for future cancer? I am so worried that this cancer might be masking invasive cancer. 6. IS that something that generally happens.  I do have a wonderful surgeon who has answered these questions for me, but I would like to hear your opinion.  My surgeon wants to do whatever we need to do in about 3 weeks.  I appreciate your help and the help from the surgeon who posts regularly.  Any guidance you can give will be so appreciated!!  Thanks for your service!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear neatfreakmom:  1.  DCIS is a "pre" cancer.  It does not have the ability to spread and this is what differentiates it from invasive cancer.  If left alone, most assume that it would eventually develop into invasive cancer but the timeline on this is unknown.  2.  DCIS is considered a local problem it can be effectively treated with lumpectomy with or without radiation therapy, depending on the characteristics of the DCIS.  Tamoxifen is often added to prevent further development of DCIS or invasive cancer in either breast.  3.  There is no way predict whether a person will develop DCIS or breast carcinoma.  As long as there is breast tissue there is a possibility.  Many women who are treated for DCIS never have another problem.  4.  With bilateral mastectomy, your chances of developing breast cancer are very small.  5.  If you have bilateral mastectomy there is little to no breast tissue remaining.  Reconstruction is generally considered safe.  6.  If the DCIS is removed and the margins are clear, then there is no invasive cancer that is being hidden by the DCIS.  You can get a pathology review if that will make you more confident.
Helpful - 1
I would like your opinion, too, if possible.  Also, there hasn't been a date set for the second surgery yet.  Isn't this waiting too long?  My surgeon said he wanted to wait until the inflammation from the biopsy was all gone. Thanks so much for your help.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.