Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Tumor Markers

Can someone please tell me if I should be having tumor markers done on a regular basis and what the level should be that would show I have no more cancer cells in my body?  I don't know if I should be continuing with radiation now that my chemo is done. In my opinion, the drs are giving me everything they can because they're building a new facility and need the money!!! They don't seem to care about what they're doing to my body! I have many friends who feel the same way as I! I heard about tumor markers yesterday from a friend. Plus I heard they should be testing my heart and kidneys and they haven't done that either.

Thanks for the help!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear laurasetzer,

I am surprised with your feeling that Doctors have planned Radiotherapy only because they want to raise money for extension of their facillities. The Doctors have definitely planned the treatment of Adjuvat Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy based on the results of post-operative microscopic examination of the removed tumor cells, axillary nodes and associated tissues of the breast and axilla. If you can give such details I would be able to give you an honest advise. Afroza.
Helpful - 0
Dear laurasetzer, There is no blood test or tumor marker that can show that there are no more cancer cells in the body after cancer treatment.  In breast cancer there is not a specific tumor marker that is used to follow the effectiveness of treatment.

A blood test CA25.27 is a nonspecific marker for breast cancer and is sometimes used to try to detect recurrent breast cancer, it's use is controversial.  According to guidelines developed by the American Society of Clinical Oncologists updated in 1997, data are insufficient to recommend its use routinely.

Depending on the findings through surgery and staging, recommendations are made for a treatment plan.  These recommendations are based on research that has led to certain standards of care.  Not undergoing the radiation portion of your treatment plan, you may be shortchanging yourself in terms of treatment.  Please have a discussion with your oncologist regarding your treatment plan, and make sure you understand the overall risk involved in not going through with the planned radiation.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Breast Cancer Forum

Popular Resources
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
From mammograms to personal hygiene, learn the truth about these deadly breast cancer rumors.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.