Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

How can you tell when child behavior is normal

My 9 year old daughter will take things if she really wants them. For example if she wants candy she will take it without us knowing, or cookies, or anything. We have talked to her about asking permission. At first it wasn't a big deal (when she was 7), but this hasn't stopped. She is now going to be 10 in May and I recently found that she had taken a bag of candy into her room and has been snacking on it since Christmas. We have made some changes in the house (like no candy) but I feel like this is potentially a problem if she is doing this now and understands that she shouldn't or should ask for permission to have some candy, cookies, or what ever (this isn't limited to food she has taken pens and rulers other small things). I don't know if this is a struggle between her getting what she wants or disobeying rules or a serious problem inthe making. What will happen when she is 16.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Jennifer,

There is no single answer to your question. In part, it depends on insurance, in part it depends on resources in yoiur area.

If you have insurance, find out about the mental health benefit and how to access it. Your pediatrician might be a good source for a referral.

If you have a local child guidance clinic or mental health association, such agencies can either offer the help directly or guide you to a resource. In addition, the support personnel at your child's school might have an idea for you.
Helpful - 0
How can I find a child behavioral health clinician that I can start working on this issue with in my area?
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Jennifer,

There's no simple way to know if your daugter's behavior is within the normal spectrum. One thing to examine is if the behavior in question is an isolated phenomenon, or one example of a genral pattern of behavior. Another factor to consider is the extent of the behavior across settings - i.e., does she do this only at home, or in other places as well.

You'll need to figure out what need she is trying to fulfill by this behavior. Some children who feel they are 'deprived' in some  manner take things rather indiscriminately. Others do so because they lack a certain aspect of moral development and pay attention only to pleasure-seeking or gratification of their needs, regardless of the implications. You might consider having a conversation about this with a child behavioral health clinician. That person can help you decide if an evaluation is warranted.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments