Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

7 yr. old afraid

My 7 year old daughter has recently developed fears about her normal routines.  For example, she if fearful of soccer, even though she has been playing with the same girls for 3 years.  She is fearful of music class at school, but she likes the teacher and has had no problems in the class.  She seems to become almost hysterical at times when she is required to do any of these activities.  It seems to be "performance" type activities, where others will be watching her.  Is this a normal developmental behaviour for this age?  Are there hormonal changes taking place that could be affecting her?  She is usually a very bright and happy child but the last two weeks she starts every day crying and worrying about something.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Stacy,

While seven-year-olds do display some self-consciousness beyond what they might have displayed at a younger age, they tend not to have the kind of anxiety your daughter is experiencing. Generally, when young children develop a fairly acute reaction, it is due to some development in their lives. Has your daughter experienced anything unsettling lately? Have there been changes in the family or elsewhere in her environment?

Don't rule out that she is experiencing some illness. If you haven't already, make an appointment with the pediatrician, to be sure she's OK medically.

Is there any family history of mood or anxiety disorder? If so, she is more vulnerable to developing such a condition than another child would without such a family history. But the onset of such things is not usually acute or dramatic, but more subtle, persistent and enduring.

If the reaction persists, consult with a pediatric mental health clinician to pin down the nature of what is occurring and develop a plan. Be sure to keep your daughter 'in the mix' - i.e., don't encourage her to shrink from her ususal pursuits. If she does, it can develop into a pattern of avoidance. The best way to overcome anxiety is to tackle it head-on, in a loving and supportive, patient atmosphere.
Helpful - 0
bob
talk to her
Helpful - 0
In answer to Bob - I talk to her all the time.  She doesn't know why she is feeling this way and obviously can't explain it.  I've asked her what frightens her, we have gone through possible things that could happen and how she could deal with them, etc.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments