Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

bad influence?

I am currently dating a very nice man who has a 3 year old son who does not reside with him.  He sees his son every Wednesday and every other weekend Saturday thru Monday.  I have a 2 year old daughter and she looks up to my boyfriends son.  She is always following him and doing everything that he does.  I know this is normal behavior, but my boyfriends son is so unruly sometimes.  My daughter is very polite and normally very well behaved until you get the two of them together.  My boyfriends son will say things like "you're dumb" and "I don't like you" and is soooo bossy to my daughter always telling her what she can and cannot do.  Even to the point of making her cry, and he mocks her saying things like "you're in trouble ha ha ha", and also has a very nasty temper throwing tantrems at the drop of a hat because he "is mad" at not getting his way.  My daughter is always with me when we are together so is also always around my boyfriends son when he has him. I don't want my daughter to pick these habits up but I seem to be failing!!! I want my daughter to be polite and nice to other children and not to say mean things.  She has never been around another child who acts the way my boyfriends son does.  What can I do to prevent her from also being this terror child!!  Don't get me wrong, I love children, but this boy just needs a good spanking and strong discipline and is getting neither from mother or father.  I don't dare say anything to my boyfriend, I don't want to overstep my boundaries.  What should I do??
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear JC,

You are not overstepping your bounds when you are looking out for your daughter's interests. The only sensible course of action is for the little boy's behavior to be managed. He needs to be disciplined when he acts in the ways you describe. A firm prohibition against such behavior needs to be announced by his father, and immediate time outs should be implemented whenever he violates the limits. You have to look out for your daughter and protect her from the behavior of this little boy, and to do so you'll need to address his father, who does not appear to be exercising proper jurisdiction over his son.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear JC,

You are not overstepping your bounds when you are looking out for your daughter's interests. The only sensible course of action is for the little boy's behavior to be managed. He needs to be disciplined when he acts in the ways you describe. A firm prohibition against such behavior needs to be announced by his father, and immediate time outs should be implemented whenever he violates the limits. You have to look out for your daughter and protect her from the behavior of this little boy, and to do so you'll need to address his father, who does not appear to be exercising proper jurisdiction over his son.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments