Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Dealing with trauma-related misbehavior

My son is just shy of his 3rd birthday.  Six months ago, while in day care, he was assaulted by one of his teachers - she smacked him in the face several times and also bit him on the nose.

Since then, he has shown some clear signs of trauma (fear of teachers, increased aggression, and an increased tendency to bite other children).  We sought out a professional opinion and the recommendation was to not remove him from day care as that could simply add to the trauma.  Over the last few months, his behavior at home has improved tremendously and his behavior at day care has also gotten better somewhat, but he still bites at the first sign of frustration, refuses to share, refuses to participate in group activities for the most part, and absolutely refuses potty training (the assault occurred during a bathroom visit so I am sure that's the reason for that).  We are concerned that his social skills have suffered - we don't live in an area with many children and he is often not invited to participate in off-site play groups with his classmates, I suspect because of the biting.

The question is, what can we do to discipline him without setting off the issues he has from the assault?  We don't spank him nor do we raise our voices to him when addressing trouble issues because it only seems to make things worse and we've had better results without doing so, but it's reaching the point where our frustration is at it's breaking point.  The therapist thinks he is very intelligent and is perhaps bored at day care.  My wife thinks we've overindulged him since the incident and so he thinks he can get away with whatever he wants.  I don't want him to be labeled as a problem child among his peers or his teachers.  Any suggestions?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes, the teacher was immediately terminated and was arrested later that week.  She apparently just snapped.
Helpful - 0
I can't believe that a teacher would do such a thing.  Was any action taken against the teacher for his/ her behavior?  I would give your son time to heal, and certainly continue with the discipline, but in a consistent manner.  I think time-outs work great.  And as far as the potty training goes, let him take charge of this area.  He will get it in time.  The more that it is made an issue, the more of an issue it will become.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Without doubt, the most sensible intervention to employ as a foundation of behavior managemnt is time out. It can be used in many situations throughout childhood, so you don't have to re-invent the wheel, so to speak, each time you face a disciplinary situation. Potty training will come in time - be patient and supportive, not at all coercive or punitive about it. Many children of your son's age haven't yet achieved mastery of this milestone, but eventually it occurs. Be sure not to draw the consclusion from the traumatic event that you should not discipline your son. Discipline is absolutely necessary - it has to be done in a reasonable, not abusive, fashion. Discipline in itself is not at all abusive. You might like to take a look at Lynn Clark's book: SOS: Help for Parents. It's a wonderful guide re: behavior management.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments