Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

My senstive 7 yr old

My 7 year old daughter is what I would call very sensitive.  She is also VERY intuitive.  She senses things and feelings in other people that she can't even explain.  Adults think she is the sweetest, kindest and most polite child.

Family history:  Her dad and I are happily married.  We have the 7 yr old (above) and a 5 yr old daughter as well.  I work very little outside the home so I am a pretty involved mom.  I am a volunteer at my daughter's school weekly.  We are involved in a church and attend regularly.  My husband works to provide for us and is a quiet but loving man to our children.  I would say that I am primarily involved in the child-rearing on a day to day basis.  While he is away on workdays, my husband attends all the girls' activities through school and outside activities as well.  We have dinner altogether as a family at least 5-6 times a week.

Overall, our daughter does well in school.  However, I wonder if I made a mistake in starting her in school when I did.  She is always the youngest in her class because her birthday (8/31)is the cutoff.  She has difficulty with "fast fact" math where they do a page of math facts and are timed but otherwise does very well.  She is a GREAT reader....well above her grade level.  She is easy to discipline and is a HUGE rule follower.  In fact, she gets very frustrated when other kids don't follow the rules.  

Lately, she has been describing some of her feelings to me.  She has said things like, "Mommy, why am I so different?...I don't understand why everyone behaves differently...I can't share my true feelings with my friends because they won't be my friends any more....I can't stand him because he is trying to be a big kid like me and he is a little kid....Why are kids so mean to me sometimes...I don't like to play the games the other kids play at recess but I don't want to be left alone either." She seems very frustrated that she can't control the behavior of other kids when she knows that they are being hurtful to her or others.  She cries as she tells me about these things.  Sometimes, she is VERY hard to console.  She doesn't feel she has true friends and from what I observe, she doesn't seem to "fit in" like other kids.  She seems to get along much better with adults.

I listen and try to talk to her about her feelings without judgment.  I encourage "journaling" and creative activities.  She always says that she feels better when she tells me her feelings.  In my mind, I feel like I need to encourage that communication but do I need to do something else?  I am EXTREMELY concerned about her.  Could their be a "bigger issue" that I am missing?

Thank you!

3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242606 tn?1243782648
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I think you are doing fine. Nothing you describe invites a change. Children of your daughter's age are entering a new developmental phase when they naturally come to tune into their social circle and how they and others fit in. It is why so many children of second and third grade age have a hard time with threesomes, while doing very well with one-to-one friendships. Overall, your daughter's intuitive abilities and sensitivity will serve her well in the world. She will take to heart some things that other children will just brush off, so in that sense her qualities can bring her a little distress. But overall her qualities are more of an asset than they are a liability.
Helpful - 0
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

Your comments were very helpful and eased my concern!  

I found the book that was mentioned and ordered it online last night.  

As for the math...my daughter is a "perfectionist" as well as gifted.   Her work is correct but not "speedy".  We practice the fast facts at home and I really don't talk to her too much about it...just encourage her to do her best.

I appreciate this so much.  As parents, we need all the help we can get! :)  

Have a good week and thank you again!

Helpful - 0
Dear slpmom:

There is an excellent book titled "the highly sensitive child" by Elaine N. Aron Ph.D. which I feel would be excellent reading for you (and no, I have absolutely no connection to the author and/or publisher).  This book describes the extreme sensitivities of children and how best to deal with these issues.  There is also a section at the back of the book which is specifically addressed to teachers of sensitive children.  If you do a search of this title on the internet, you will also find additional information.

I also noted that your daughter finds "timed math testing" to be difficult.  This is very common in children suffering from anxiety (meaning intense distress in perceived unsafe situations).  School for many children of anxieties and/or sensitives is a "perceived unsafe place" and can cause a lot of distress.  Children suffering from anxiety also have difficulty with self-regulation issues and you may be seeing some of this behaviour in her interaction with her peers.

It is also possible that your child is gifted and/or a perfectionist (another issue common to sensitive/anxiety-prone children) but I feel the real issue is her "sensitivity to her surroundings".  As far as the young age that she entered school - whether or not this is a factor at this point is irrelevant.  The fact that you are ruminating over this detail and also you mention that your husband is a "quiet" man makes me wonder if anxiety (an inheritable trait) is also a factor in this issue.

In general, though, it sounds as if you are a very caring and understanding mother and your daughter is lucky to have two loving and caring parents.  All the best -  

jdtm
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Child Behavior Forum

Popular Resources
Fearing autism, many parents aren't vaccinating their kids. Can doctors reverse this dangerous trend?
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
We answer your top questions about the flu vaccine.
Learn which over-the-counter medicines are safe for you and your baby
Yummy eats that will keep your child healthy and happy
Healing home remedies for common ailments