Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Sores on body... herpes?

Hello and thank you for your time...

Within the last month, I noticed unusual behavior about pimples on my body. I regularly get them on my chest and back from shaving or "nairing" body hair. The pimples however would become larger and more enflamed than usual and turn into what would appear to be cysts (they would scab over with a thick covering, clearly indented, and they would take longer to heal). This had been limited to some of the pimples on my upper body and one by my belly button where I also shave. Last week, I noticed a pink bump on my groin, several inches above my genitals; it seemed more like a blister than a pimple and did "pop". A week later, it is now scabbed over and a little sensitive. It is not perfectly round; actually somewhat oblong and is definantly a sore. There looks like there may be two other very teeny pink dots or bumps next to it, but they don't seem to be getting any bigger. I do not shave down to the skin down there, so I didn't think it was an ingrown hair. My concerns are obviously that I never had anything like that before on my groin, I don't shave closely down there, it is more cyst/sore like than a pimple, and it is slightly sensitive. I amy very concerned as it sounds like a herpe symptom. What else could this be symptomatic of and what other signs should I be looking for if it's related to HSV? Thank you.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, break outs!! was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, a sore in my body was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, WHAT AM I TO DO ? was started.
Helpful - 0
I have had genital herpes for 10 years now but I am no expert. I have experienced the many different types of symptoms and aspects of outbreaks...Most common, the somewhat painful deep pimples in the groin area, thighs, buttocks...to the "textbook" small clusters of blisters on my penis that scab over in a week or so... These symptoms are usually precluded by slight flu-like body aches and tingly burning in the legs and lower back. Initially, these outbreak symptoms were more pronounced, painful and debilitating.  Over the years they subside and have become less and less severe.  They do not always occur in this manner...often one without the other or sometimes concurrently. Outbreaks become somewhat predictable after a while..usually triggered by stress and overexposure to sunlight. Unfortunatley, a large majority of the physical descriptions and symptoms described on this site sound extrememly similar to what I have gone through.... Now keep this in mind....I have never had an STD in my life until this came about.  And before this, I never had any type of mysterious pimple or blister down there that could be due to sweat, friction or an infected hair follicle...never! (But maybe that's just my good luck???) I had plenty of unprotected, frictioned sweaty sex up until that time...with my only girlfriend.  However, all these "new" symptoms only came on about 2-4 days after I regretfully had unprotected sex with a promiscuous girl after then.  I have done enough research and have concluded on my own that I have this disease.  I have never actually been diagnosed with a positive herpes test result. However, I am quite sure I have it.  Most of the doctors I went to initially were quick to rule out herpes, despite my protest and affirmation.  They performed a type of innacurate blood test and an unreliable culture test.  It is rather obvious that herpes is a very tricky disease to diagnose and it manifests itself in many different forms symptomatically and asymptomatically.  There are only 1 or 2 special (and a bit expensive) tests that can give you a definite answer...and those are really the only way to go if you want to be sure. I suppose I too should go take the test but it would only reaffirm my solid beliefs.

My comment/question is this....Why is it that most of the answers and advice on this particular site seem to be so biased against a herpes diagnosis? Is it because this is a dermatology practice-associated site rather than an STD-related information forum? I certainly hate to think of the unethics of that.  I digress...but what I do think is that this disease is far more common than the recorded statistics show or what doctors seem to think and state.   There is nothing worse than to be unsure and worried to death and then lulled into a false sense of reassurance from a doctor's forum posting on the internet...then only to possibly find out later that the advice was short-sighted and wrong.  I understand that only somewhat vague advice is offered and is surely no substiute for a clinical visit.  I am just bewildered by the majority of replies I have read here.  Maybe if the diagnosing doctors actually suffered from this ailment, they would have a personal awareness to relate to their patients with...and possibly not be so quick to dismiss "the not so obvious" aspects in their diagnosis?  (*note* I certainly do not wish this disease upon anyone...LOL!) But I do wish that my doctors were correct with their negative test results they provided so reassuringly to me.  No such luck.   But until the medical world gets a more thorough understanding of this disease, nothing should be ruled out so carelessly! In closing, I simply suggest to others with similar concerns that they read all they can on the subject and see a trusted doctor experienced with STD diagnosis!
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
These are not symptoms of herpes.  They may be bacterial in nature or they may just be folliculitis.  I just finished a post to Amigo 5 minutes ago, so I advise you to have a look at that.  Meantime, when things scab over, most of the time it's because people pick at them, so if you're doing that, please stop.

Of course, you should see a doctor to get a proper diagnosis and antibiotics if you need them, which you probably don't.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions