Aa
A
A
A
Close

Laser Skin Treatment

gwt
Dr. Rockoff,

I have facial telangiectasia (it's been diagnosed as such) on my nose and some on my cheeks.  The dermatologist I've seen suggests, as do you, laser treatment.  Yet, the laser he'd use would leave my nose and cheeks bruised for two weeks (he showed me pictures, and the skin is plum-colored - a deep purple - after treatment).  This, I've learned, is called "purpura".  

Also, from the little that I've researched about laser treatments, I conclude that the doctor I'm seeing would use a Pulsed Dye Laser.  And this is why, I take it, purpura would result.  

Yet, I've also read that there are other kinds of lasers, such as the KTP laser, which wouldn't leave my nose and cheeks bruised for two weeks.  

So, my question is this: Should I seek out another dermatologist, one who uses a different kind of laser (viz., a non-Dye Pulsed Laser), for the treatment of my telangiectasia?

What, in other words, is your recommendation, all things considered?

(FYI: taking off work wouldn't be a problem.  I just want the best treatment possible.)

Respectfully,

Greg
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It leaves you flushed for an hour, not worse.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
The versapulse laser leaves you flushed after??? What if i have RED cheeks already? Laser will make it worse???
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The Versapulse is one kind of KTP laser.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The KTP laser doesn't bruise, is perfectly safe, and works just as well.  I don't see any reason to prefer the pulsed dye, unless the KTP or some other non-bruising laser has failed.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
gwt
Dr. Rockoff,

I note, from your web-site, that you use the "Versapule Laser", which, as you say, results in no down-time and just leaves the skin a little flushed for a few hours.  

I take it, then, that you'd recommend I go to another dermatologist, who's using more up-to-date, or at least different, technology?  My previous question remains, though: What is your recommendation?

Thanks much,

Greg
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions