Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

skin rash

Hi, I have 4 children, ages 11,10,10,2.  One of my 10 year olds started with itchiness on her wrists and between the fingers back in March 2004.  I took her to the pediatrician.  They diagnosed her with "scabies".  I treated the whole family did ALL the laundry in HOT water.  Left the cream on for the night and they bathed in the morning.  I re-washed the bedding also.  Then re-treated in 7 days. 3 months later I took her back to the doctors, but now to a dermatologist.  Now the diagnoses was eczema, fine, was given a cream for that also.  Applied the cream and it burned her skin.  We have since moved from the bay area to the central valley, still in california.  Started to notice now that now my other kids were getting these, what look like bites. on there bodies.  We now returned to another doctor in our new city.  He told us that it was a combo of eczema/scabies.  Was given the same cream, like the one back in March and also given sarna lotion 0.05%.  So, I re-treated everyone did all the laundry, left it on all night, bathed in the morning, and re-washed the laundry.  We are now in December,  and we still have this problem.  Im getting tired of taking the kids to the doctor, paying a $20 co-pay for me to get no resolution to this problem.  I dont know what to do, Im at a loss.  My kids are very discurriaged.  I tell them go take your shower and we are going to medicine you.  They literally cry because they say that the medicine doesnt work.  I was also given for them atarax pills and prednisolone for this problem. They scratch like there is no tomorrow.  Its all over there bodies.  Mainly on there stomaches and legs. What else can I do?  I hope that you can give me some help.  Thank you.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Possible allergic reaction was started.
Helpful - 0
HI DOTTIE, I READ YOUR POST AND THIS SOUNDS SO SIMILAR TO OUR FAMILY'S PROBLEM. WE WERE DIAGNOSED WTIH SCABIES ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO AND DID THE TREATMENT. I HAVE A 5 MONTH OLD AND HAD TO PUT IT ON HER TOO. WE SEEMED BETTER AND NOW I HAVE NEW ITCHY RED BUMPS AGAIN SCATTERED THROUGHOUT MY BODY AND ALSO FOLLICULITIS, SO I DON'T KNOW IF ALL OF IT IS RELATED. My baby has recurring red spots all over too, but this has rarely if ever been on her feet. the derm says it's eczema for her. the bumps seem to go away after a few days, but there is always some on our bodies, new and old. Aquaphor seems to help, i rub it in each time i am itchy until my skin looks shimmery if that makes sense. i don't know or not sure i believe that this is or was ever scabies. my husband was itchy too and we were both up at night in the past. maybe it was scabies, and now is post scabetic eczema on my daughter and i. i keep reading the symptoms can last for weeks or months. my doctor has done scrapings of my sores and never found a mite or burrows or eggs/feces. i had a skin biopsy done which said it was scabies, although no mites, or burrows were seen and the conclusion was "probably an insect bite". this has all been going on since JULY. keep me updated, it's unfortunate that we are going through this, but sometimes it's good to talk with someone who is going through the same thing. Especially if you have kids!!!! : )
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I understand your perplexity.  Scabies (infestation by an itch mite) is often overdiagnosed, as I believe was done in your case (I say this, because scabies is curable overnight, and obviously that didn't happen, even though you did everything right.)  This is unfortunate, because people who keep itching, as your family has, think they still have mites, when you clearly don't.

Having said that, I'm afraid I can't tell you exactly what you do have.  It could be eczema, it could be insect bites from the environment (not contagious like scabies), it could even be chronic scratching from anxiety over the repeated scabies diagnoses.

My advice:
1.  Please don't treat the family for scabies again.  Enough is enough.
2. Get a bottle of Sarna lotion (over-the-counter), and let everyone apply it any time they feel itchy--very cooling and soothing.
3.  See a different dermatologist.  Give him or her the whole story.  You need an objective opinion from someone who has the benefit of the whole picture.

I have little doubt that you can get this cleared up and off your family's mind.  

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Do they get waterlike blisters between their fingers still.  Very strong sign it is scabies.  Since scabies is body lice, and some people have the same recurring problem with head lice,you may want to search for the source.  your children could be getting reinfected.  I am not sure, but you may want to make sure if pets can carry them. If it is scabies, you must be missing something...just gotta find it.

Good Luck
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions