Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

CONFUSED, WHAT COULD IT BE?

Hey doc,  

I have, what i think is an interesting situation, but i hope not.

About five months ago, i started experiencing some itching near the skin folds of my groin, particularly on one side.  I thought nothing of it, and started applying hydrocortisone on it.  After about 2-3 months of steady hydrocortisone use, is saw little improvement in the redness. Then one day, the irritation errupted, turned beat red, and spread. I went to a doctor who said it was folliculitis. He gave me an antifungal, a steriod,and an antibiotic, suggesting that he didnt know what it was.  The irritation cleared up nicely in about a week, but since then (that was about 1 month ago) i get flareups every now and again particularly when i am active and moving around alot. I went to another doctor, who said he didnt think it was folliculitis and told me to simply put medicated powder on it.  
The rash,when irritated, is red and is located in the lower groin, under the scrotum and runs up the skin fold towards the abdomen.  It doesnt look like jock itch, it doesnt seem to be raised and at times can spread down the thigh a little. Furthermore, when irritated, the skin in that area feels tight and dry, especially where it originates, down under the scrotum  

my question is this:

Do you have any idea what this could be? (chafing, psoriasis, jock itch, intertrigo, std)

If you do know, how can i treat it or improve my condition?

Thank you for all of your help.  Any information you can provide will help me greatly.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well I guess this is similar to what most of the people out here have experienced.  This is not my frist time with an ingrown hair, but the one that I have now seems to hurt when I touch it.  I did try to pop it and it popped with a whiteish fluid then blood flowed after it.  I thought it to be hereps and I did some research and looked at some pictures and nothing was similar to what I was seeing.  It was strange how it came about.  It just started out small and I didn't think anything of it and then it got bigger.  I am afarid that it might be an STD, but I do believe that it is an ingrown hair.  So I would say if your doc says your good, sometimes they know whats best for you.  I don't know though.  This one is like filled with fluid and it was so big and hard, but it did form from under the skin I did notice that, so maybe i am good.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the input. However, one of the things both doctors told me was to wash and dry completely, which i have been careful to do.  I should go get a swab of it, but i really dont want to make another appointment and spend money and time for this if i dont have to.  

I do appreciate your thoughts though
Helpful - 0
Do not know if this applies, but twice I found that the right side of my groin was reddened (did not itch though) and the shape of the red area exactly matched where the skin touched together (like between the side of the upper scrotum and my inner thigh) when sitting or standing. What I figured out was that when I showered I was not rinsing completely and was leaving Dial soap in that area due to the fact that the skin was touching and the water did not rinse it well. Since I have taken care to make sure I now rinse well, there has been no reoccurance. Not sure if this is your problem, but it was mine.
Helpful - 0
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It sounds like chafing or irritation.  It doesn't sound like fungus or an STD.  I think you should keep the area powdered and stay away from all medications, cortisone or otherwise, only a bland moisturizer.  I'd consult a dermatologist in person for further advice.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions