Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

herpes transmission

I developed a strange rash at the top of the crack of my buttocks, it has since gone and it was small bumps (never felt like blisters or pimples)  I have never had herpes and I know this is going to sound weird, but a friend who has oral herpes (i'm not sure if he had genital herpes) not that close of friends, gave me some shampoos and hair products. (he turned out to be this sick vendictive person) and I'm wondering if it is possible that he tainted these products in any way?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
242489 tn?1210497213
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You may have a minor case of psoriasis, or just a chafing rash, the kind that happens where there are folds and skin rubs against other skin.  If it recurs and bothers you, show a doctor.  I doubt it's herpes or anything like that.  (And catching herpes from someone else's shampoo is pretty remote...)

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Helpful - 0
Lol.  That's the funniest thing I ever heard.  Tainted products.  What would he do use the shampoo as mouthwash and then spit it back in to the bottle?  You really have to do some research on how oral herpes (and genital for that matter)is transmitted.  Certaintly not like that, even if he did "taint" the products, which i highly doubt.  Too funny:)
Helpful - 0
Paranoia or what. Anyway - soap kills herpes. Sorry but I am trying no to laugh...
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your response Dr.  I actually have shown the rash (or mirrored clusters, at least what is left of them) to my OBGYN, since I visited her for what I thought to be a bladder infection, but it was not.  I have had a vaginal culture and PAP smear done and am waiting for the results.  For everyone's information, the OBGYN said since the rash had dried up she could not tell, but SHE WAS THE ONE THAT SAID IT MAY HAVE BEEN HERPES.  I never thought of this myself.  But I appreciate your humor!:)
Helpful - 0
It may have been herpes - but definitely NOT from the shampoo or hair products. Best of luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Dermatology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions