Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

type 1 diabetes and HSV-1

I'm 31 and have had type 1 diabetes for 16 years - so far, no complications.  I've struggled over the last year with Interstitial Cystitis symptoms (had pelvic floor therapy) and recurrent group B strep in urine cultures.

It is common for me to experience a small tear in my perineum area and it usually takes a week to heal.  I've been told this is because I have fragile tissue due to diabetes.  It's been a week since I last "tore" and it hasn't healed.  Yesterday I developed extremely painful, red, swollen genital ulcers.  I went to the doctor today and she took cultures for HSV-1 and HSV-2, but I won't get the results for several days.

I've had canker sores ever since I can remember and I had a small one a week ago which I treated with kenalog paste.  It's probable that I have oral HSV-1 given the canker sores although I've never had a fever blister/cold sore. I'm an avid hand-washer, but somehow, is it possible that I gave MYSELF genital HSV-1?  Or, can genital ulcers be a symptom of GBS gone wild?

Thanks for your consideration - you can imagine I'm a bit anxious.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
bfc
I have type 1 diabetes and have had genetal HSV-1.  Swollen, red, ulcers does not sound like what I had.  I had about 4 tiny little blisters, individual, spread out, not grouped and you could really tell they were blisters.  The good news is that they never came back and it's been ten years...
I'm interested in this "fragile tissue" that you mentioned though.  I tear frequently and have made an appointment to see a gynecologist next month as it interferes with my sex life.  What were you told to use to treat the tears?
Helpful - 0
Dear Mighty Tiger,
So sorry for the delay in answering your questions.  We are volunteers here and are not medical professionals.  I do have considerable experience with Type 1 diabetes, but I'm sorry to tell you I know nothing about Interstitial Systitis, HSV-1 or HSV-2.  I'd encourage you to talk with a doctor and to seek out support groups for both those conditions.

I hope you'll get some answers soon, since I'm sure it's stressful not knowing what's going on.

Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.