Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

I also was diagnosed with Cushings Disease

I was diagnosed with type one diabetes two or three years ago. At that time they said that I had Cushings Disease also. I need to find out any information on Cushings in adults I have looked and I find it is more common in dogs. Can someone please help me??

Thank you
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Janie001 - I am by no means a medical professional, just the wife of a juvenile diabetic.  I did a little research on my own and I too found more information on Cushing's Disease in dogs.  I did, however, find some information on Cushing's syndrome on Mayoclinic.com that may be helpful to you.  Below is an overview.  

"Cushing's syndrome is a result of high levels of the hormone cortisol.  This can occur when the adrenal glands make too much cortisol or more commonly, it can be the result of prolonged use of high doses of cortisol-like medications that are used as a treatment for various acute and chronic illnesses such as asthma and arthritis.  
Some signs and symptoms of Cushing's syndrome are a fatty hump between your shoulders, a rounded face, and pink or purple stretch marks on your skin.  It can also result in high blood pressure, bone loss, and on occasion, diabetes.
There are treatments for Cushing's syndrome designed to return your body's cortisol production to normal.  By lowering your cortisol levels, you will experience noticeable improvements in your symptoms.  If left untreated, Cushing's syndrome can eventually lead to death.
If the cause of Cushing's syndrome is long-term use of corticosteroid medications, your doctor may be able to keep your Cushing's symptoms under control by reducing the dosage of the drug over a period of time, while still adequately managing your condition. For many of these medical problems, your doctor can prescribe noncorticosteroid drugs, which will allow him or her to reduce the dosage or eliminate the use of corticosteroids altogether. However, don't reduce the dosage of these drugs or stop taking them on your own. Do so only under your physician's supervision. Abruptly discontinuing these medications could lead to failure of your adrenal glands."

I hope this helps you to understand a little bit more about Cushing's syndrome and where it came from.  There is additional information on the mayoclinic.com website that deals with the other causes and treatments of Cushing's syndrome.  

Helpful - 0
Thank you for your help. I will come back and let u know how I am doing. My diabetes is still out of control. So I will let you know how I am doing
Helpful - 0
Hi Janie001 ~ thank you for coming to our site in search of answers to your question regarding type 1 diabetes and Cushings disease.  The volunteers at this site are parents of type 1 or themselves diabetic and none of us are medical professionals, simply people who collectively have many years experience dealing with this disease.

I have very little knowledge of Cushings myself, so I, too, did a search and found much more on Cushings in dogs as did you.  I did come across a site, though, that had a lot of good information about the syndrome; its causes, treatment and current research.  The link is:
http://cushings.homestead.com/

I wish I had more information for you, but hopefully others will come to our site and post comments to your question.  Please visit often and let us know how things are going for you.  Best wishes!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Diabetes - Type 1 Community

Top Diabetes Answerers
231441 tn?1333892766
Manila, Philippines
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are three summertime recipes that will satisfy your hunger without wreaking havoc on your blood sugar.
If you have prediabetes, type 2 diabetes isn’t inevitable. Find out how you can stop diabetes before it starts.
Diabetes-friendly recipes and tips for your game day party.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Simple ways to keep your blood sugar in check.
8 blood sugar-safe eats.