Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pain in left side of body (including chest area) for 2 months- Nerve related?

I am a 22yrold female. The problems I'm about to describe have presented themselves progressively over the last couple of months. The beginnings of my chest pains coincided with a pec workout after which I had a lot of soreness in my left pec for about a week. I've suspected a piched nerve. I experienced tingling and numbness in me left digits when extending my left arm above my heart level. My left funny bone was hypersensitive and would spasm with tingling/pain if I rested my left elbow on a surface. My chest pain continues and has shown up in other parts of my chest with varying degrees of sensations/pain, never severe, but chronic nonetheless. The pain is primarily just to the left of my sternum, is a dull/ achy sensation. Over the last two weeks, I have started to experience muscle/joint pain in my extremities including my arms, shoulders, wrists, fingers, upper and lower legs, feet, upper and lower back, as well as some facial pain, and pain in the lower back section of my head where it meets my neck. There is also pain that comes and goes in the sides of my neck. The thing that concerns me a lot is that the pain is mostly in my left side. I have gone to the ER a couple of times due to panic attacks in conjuction with these symptoms. The first time I went, I was startled by my left arm tingleing and going numb. ECGs/chest x-rays were deemed normal, and I've been told it's anxiety. However, even when I've been on Ativan and in a calm state recently, the pain is still present. I realize the effect the mind can have over the body in situations of generalized anxiety and panic, but I would really like to know if my chest workout could have spawned all of this in terms of pain/ perhaps a pinched nerv. I know anxiety is a factor but I do not want to ingore my physical symptoms either.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well the snake oil salesman have helped me out with serious problems but most people who don't know and never have been would say these kinds of things.
Helpful - 0
These pains appear to be too generalized to be anything except somatoform in origin. However, I would see your family doc about them and see if a referral to a neurologist is in order, at least for the arm paresthesias and neck symptoms, although it sounds overall generally musculoskeletal in origin. Have you stopped lifting for the time being to see if the pains dissipate with cutting back on exercise?  

Forget about the chiropractor, especially for any neck symptoms. These guys are just a notch above snake oil salesmen.
Helpful - 0
I don't know the answer but I would recommend seeing a NON force chiropractor. It souonds like you do have some nerves involved around your neck area.

Hope you feel better
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Exercise & Fitness Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.