Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Here is a list of some of the terms we use / open post for all

There are many new members on the board and yesterday one of them asked what HGB and procrit was, so I thought I'd open this thread and list the terms we use here.  Please add if I left any thing out.  

Procrit: one of the recue drugs used to get your blood count up.
PCR: viral count
WBC: whit blood count
ALT: liver enzyme
AST: liver enzyme
TX: treatment
SX: sides
BX: biospy
HX: history
VL: viral load
EVR: early viral response
RVR: rapid viral response
SVR: what you want=sustained viral response

Hope this helps and welcome,

Beagle
17 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am so glad you don't have cancer,and your hubby doesn't have hep C.  
I know how you feel looking at the meds for the first time.  We are all here for you and remember your not alone.  

What time will you take the meds tomorrow?  When you take the riba make sure to take it with good fat, drink plenty of water, I drink about 80 oz of water. Also take 2 tylenol before your shot.  
I hope you have a side free day tomorrow, but if you don't remember it will get better.

Beagle
Helpful - 0
131817 tn?1209529311
I just got the fax from the lab that the
B12 was High.  Freaky, yes!....

Just recieved my meds(Interfern/ribavarin) in the mail this evening. When I saw and opened the package,  I paniced a bit... hard to handle, I cried and laid on the floor for a while.My husband came home and comforted me. That was really nice.  We also found out today that he does not have Hep C, great news!.  I am still hopeful that all I have to deal with is the Hep C.  not leukemia or cancer.  I start tomorrow on the combo tx for hep c...Thanks for all your well wishes.

Linda
Helpful - 0
131817 tn?1209529311
Thanks for the list,  I copied it and printed.  Still so many things are new!  

NY: Thanks for the tip on eating fat with the Riba,  I will definately do this.  

Is it important to take the meds at the same time each day?  Any tips on the shots?  I have done shots myself for migraines,  so I am not worried about giving them.

All the talk of sx or no sx...I am already fatigued all the time and had lichen plantus.  I have no energy!  I sure wish I did.

Any advise on vitamins or foods that help?

Thanks,  Linda
Helpful - 0
In the beginning of tx I was not taking the riba with enough fat  and felt like cr*p too.  That could be your problem as to the way your feeling.  Try taking the riba with ice cream, that's what I do at night, learned that from NY girl. See if that helps you feel better.

Be well my friend.

Beagle
Helpful - 0
It's not something filling you should be concentrating it IS that you should be making sure you take it with something that has good FAT (ie: a natural fat like peanut butter or a yogurt smoothie or something).

The Riba binds to the fat and is absorbed that way.  So if you aren't havign enough fat it's probably not raising your serum level because you probably aren't absorbing enough.

I haven't had any problem since I took the advice and so every morning even though I am NOT a morning eater I make myself take it with a Yogurt Smoothie - and I feel great and certainly have had more than sufficient Riba absorption as judging by my hemo drops and the rash.  :)
Helpful - 0
Okay, I have been wondering about this for awhile.  When I started tx I worked nights.  So I planned on 10am and 10-11pm depending on where I worked that night.  Same for the shots, 10-11pm Friday.  Well, I'm fortunate enough my husband turned in my keys a few months ago and said no more work til I'm through. 32/48

My question is since I take it so late, could this be why my initial sleep isn't so good.  I would like to try taking it earlier, Especially the Riba, but having never waivered from my schedule and und since week 12, am afraid to stir the pot. Any comments would be great.

Here is another weird thing.  After several months of really being kicked by sx (hence, the keys being turned in), since my total meltdown Saturday, I almost feel like I did pre-tx.  I mean, hubby cut down several large dead trees and I was able to work all afternoon cleaning up.  Is it the calm before the storm?
Is it gonna kick me right in the head next week?  lol  Guess I will take it either way.

Boogers-We could go the digital picture route and have a contest.  I'm thinking we girls will win.  Any takers?  lol

missmiss
Helpful - 0
I had a problem sleeping too.  Would wake up every few hours so I started taking Lunesta and it helped alot.

Beagle
Helpful - 0
Hey good for you! I'm glad to hear good news! :)

You'll probably stay just fine for a while, judging by me it seems to go in cycles BUT once you are over that main beginning hurdle it's downhill mostly (except for the anemia type sides which I'm not talking about).  IN general once the first few months go by you do get some reprieves!

I take Ambien like Beagle said it helps I still wake up every few hours but am able to go back to bed.

Helpful - 0
116701 tn?1210259164
I take my meds at 7:00am while eating breakfast and then at 7:30pm with oatmeal or something filling. It seems the best way for me. My wife watches over me pretty close so I at least have her memory to keep me from missing a dose or delaying it. Brain fog has lifted temporarily today but it could appear at any moment. Dale
Helpful - 0
I don't find it important to take the riba at the time every day, just remember to take it. LOL
EX:  If you work Mon. to Fri. I would do the shot on Fri.  I would do the shot on the lastday I worked.
Drink plenty of water as the meds with cause dehydration and helps with the sxs.  I also get a B12 shot weekly, and take vitamin C.

Beagle
Helpful - 0
Hi,

sorry to change the subject, but I had my 12 week bloods yesterday and nurse has just called me to say that there is a problem with my thyroid. Seems it is looking like it is Hyper and wonder if anyone has info on this. I was thinking that NY girl had this problem too. I had thought it was riba aenemia, rapid heart rate, no energy, clammy etc, but seems like the symptoms are pretty similar!

Does anyone know if this is something that returns to normal after tx, can I cntinue tx, is it my own fault because I upped my dose from 90mcg of pegintron to 100mcg?

Any advice would be appreciated.

hope you are all well

xx
Helpful - 0
131817 tn?1209529311
I read about the B12 shot, it sounded great until I got some labs indicating I have too much B12 in my blood,  also high red counts and low platelets.  Hopefully, Friday I can get the answers to the cancer tests and then just concentrate on tx.

Lots of water...yes,  I love peeing all night!

Thanks,
Linda
Helpful - 0
73878 tn?1214053207
Just got back from the hospital, went to watch brother in physical therapy.  They are going to let him go home on Thursday.  I don't know how this is going to work!  This is the 1st time I saw him walking and it's slow & painful.  Now I am stressing as to how he is going to do it at home.  Time to kick the Super into gear I suppose, get to his apt, clean, do the grocery shopping and just get things ready for him to go home.

Yes.......starting to stress again, wish they would keep him longer until he is more mobile.  He is not even getting up to go to pee, uses the plastic urinal........Am I gonna have to take care of all that too?  Oh me Oh my... Don't know how I am going to handle this............and he is being a real Sh*t too!  Can't say anything right, can't offer help w/anything, says that he knows and will do what right for him instead of what the therapy or Docs say.  Driving me crazy!

JEEZZZ!

HEadache just came back!
Helpful - 0
I feel for you girl, maybe it time you set him down and have a little talk with him. With out you where would he be. And if you don't slow down he's gonna be without you.

Its easy for people not on this sh!t to not realise what somedays are like. Take care of no.1 (not me) YOU
Helpful - 0
Did the dr say what happens if you have to much B12 in the blood?  Did he say what causes it?

Beagle
Helpful - 0
73878 tn?1214053207
Thanks Beagle for the list, even though I have been here for over a year, it is always nice to be able to refresh my brain with the abbrviations.

OK, think I have this feeling like TOTAL CR*P yesterday & today figured out (I think).  Normally (whatever normal is!) I take my meds after I eat my dinner.  The last 2 nights I have had a total booger brain Fart, go to take 2 Motrin at bedtime and realize I did not take my meds.  So I eat a Double Stuff Oreo, drink a lil milk, take my meds along w/Motrin and go to bed.  Tonight I will make sure I get my meds in me at dinner time and see if I feel any different tomorrow.

Welcome all new folks to the forum, great folks and information here.  Sorry we all have to resort to this tx although soooooo glad there is a place we can go to chat w/others that are knowledgable and informative AND FUNNY! during such a tough time in our lives.

Forever,
Fisheress
Helpful - 0
132578 tn?1189755837
never mind.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.