Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

please help me - support needed.

dtc
My mother (she is 67) went in for a MRI for an unrelated problem (pinched nerve) and a small cyst was found on an overy. Her gyno said it 'looked like nothing serious' and she went on vacation and after a month had another ultrasound for a follow up this time they said they didn't like the look of it and that it had grown and sent her to a surgeon to discuss 'next steps'. Yesterday the surgeon recommended a hysterctomy and have we have scheduled suregry in two weeks. We are all so scared and she is extrmemly nervous. I feel sick to my stomach thht i am going to lose my mom and I am having trouble coping. Please help w/advice and some things we can do. I need to calm her down.
thank you.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi DTC, welcome to the forum!
First of all, let me reassure you that most (99%) of cysts are benign! A cyst can look more suspicious if it has certain characteristics, like there are solid parts in it. Even those, though, usually turn out to be benign in the majority of cases. A doctor can never really tell because pathology must be done to determine if it is malignant or not. They cannot tell this from an ultrasound. They can only see that it needs to be investigated further. Many of us on here are waiting to find out about our cysts and most discover that they are benign. The usual course is to do a follow up ultrasound to see if it goes away. In this case, it hasn't, so the next step has to be to remove it and send it to pathology. Many women here have had that done or are waiting to get it done. Even IF, worse case scenario, it certainly seems like they found out it at a very early stage, and that is good news! More than likely it will turn out to be fine. Hang in there and I'm sure some other cysters will be along shortly to add their experience. Take a deep breath and know that the waiting part of it is always the hardest. Your mom is going to be OK, they are doing exactly what it is they should be doing. It sounds like her doctor is on the ball, and that is definitely a good thing. Robin
Helpful - 0
You and your Mom are in my prayers. I agree it sounds like they are doing exactly what they should be doing.  Hang in there and stay calm.
Helpful - 0
dtc
Thank you for your quick response.
This just seems to have happened in such a hurry.
She had a gyno check this past Oct. and got an all clear.
My (limited) research is that cysts on post-menapause women tend to be of more concern. I know there are a lot of 'ifs' but we are still very distressed.
This feeling of stomach sickness is terrible and it seems my whole life has been put on hold.
Helpful - 0
Hi there and welcome,

I recently went in for a routine visit and was also found to have a suspicious cyst or mass.  It was 7 cm. and the doctors decided it had to come out.  Mine also grew very quicly.  It ended up being endometriosis.  This can grow VERY quickly.  A month's time can be enough for these things to really grow.  It's amazing.  I already had it all over inside once having surgery and had to have a hysterectomy.  Hopefully your mom will have good luck and be okay.  Believe me.  I know.  The waiting is the WORST and unbelievably scary.  You do feel like your whole life is on hold.  I didn't eat for days.  I have two small children too.  It was hard.  Hang in there, say prayers and you will get through this with your mom.  It's so hard, but nothing is ever known until after surgery and testing thereafter.

Good luck and keep us all posted.  We're here for you.

ShellyBelly18
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
You are in my thoughts, too...I wanted to say that I noted the time line that you indicated. My gut feeling says that whatever this is, you sure caught it early and that the doctor is good about follow-up. I certainly hope that it is nothing serious.

And, I took notice that (the cyst, right?) was found while doing a procedure for something else (you mentioned the pinched nerve). Makes you wonder, doesn't it...things happen for a reason? I don't have the answer to that. My story may offer some comfort.

I was quite upset with my husband because he was afraid of getting a vasectomy (after saying he would, of course)...fear of pain, who knows...and although we were unable to conceive a second child, I didn't want any surprises at age 47 (this was in 2000)...and, I had been watching a cyst for about six months. I almost didn't even know about the cyst. The tech saw 2 cysts on an ultrasound and thankGod and said something. When the doctor's assistant called to tell me my ultrasound was normal, I caught her as she was hanging up..."wait.. we saw two cysts..." Oh yes, was her response, but they were normal. But, I was having so much pain still. I switched doctors.

Well, my point is, I went in for a tubal...and came out with a diagnosis...since the doc checked out the cyst and drained it..they said there were malignant cells in there. I do realize that everyone is different..but....I had been watching the cyst from February til August when I had my surgery. The malignant cells happened to be on the outer layer and had not yet invaded the ovary.

I do hope that this offers you hope or at least a different perspective until you get more answers. Take care. We will be thinking of your Mom.
Helpful - 0
dtc
thank you all for your comments, advice, and storys..It is inspirational and I think you are doing a great thing here.
I'm a bit calmer so and i can give a bit more background. Apparently the cyst was on one overy and contains liquid. it was 4 - 5 cent. and grew over the course of about a month to nearly 7 cent. they also mentioned that they did not like the colour change. We are based in Boston and my mom was sent to the Dana Farber to speak with the surgeon. All they really are saying is that they 'don't know' and it better to take care of this sooner than later and he reccommended a hysy. due to her age etc..the surgey is scheduled in a week and a half time. I expect the next couple weeks re going to be very difficult. Thank you all very much, and I'm sending out my thoguht to you and your loved ones.
Helpful - 0
dtc
I am printing out your replys for my mom.
They are helping us immensely
A million thanks to you all.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.