Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

delicate question

Okay, I was just having a bath (which requires being naked so you can see why this popped into my head!) and I wondered - when I have my total abdominal hysterectomy will I have to be shaved? I remember when my mom had her vaginal hyst that she was shaved but if they are going thru the abdomen is this still the case? I would rather do it myself the night before than have someone else do it at the hospital. Anyone care to share their experience with me?
Thanks,
Michelle
16 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for all the comments. I'm glad it's not just me that worries about silly stuff like that!
Michelle
Helpful - 0
I shaved myself, gave me a little feeling of control, just the top, and then I had my daughter draw a jack-o-lantern face on the spot.  Made the doctors really, really laugh when they saw it and relaxed the atmosphere a lot.  If you're having a vertical incision you probably won't be shaved--used primarily for the infamous "bikini" cut.
Speaking of, after my surgery when I spoke to the resident doctor about how my incision looked (I'm not happy with the results) he said, "Well at least you can still wear a bikini!"  I mean really, I'm 55 years old, fat and saggy and coping with ovarian cancer---wear a bikini?!?!?!?!
Helpful - 0
I had a lap and they wanted to shave the top but I had done it that morning so they didn't have too..
I did it out of vanity but I am really happy I did!
Helpful - 0
I just had surgery done - abdominal incision to remove a cyst.  The nurse shaved just the top. I was wide-awake but amazingly did not die of embarrassment. I told her I would have done it the night before if they had told me.  She said they really don't like you to do it yourself in case you accidentally nick or cut yourself.  She used an electric shaver.  Fun times.
Helpful - 0
I think it really is up to the hospital's procedures - I had a hysterectomy 14 years ago at the local small town hospital and I had to do the shave thing - how embarassing - left all my dignity right there!
When I went in for my complex mass removal last week I asked them about it and they said they don't do that - this was a bigger hospital and the same place where I had 3 C-sections - never had to shave then.  Thank goodness - it's darn itchy when it comes back.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
I was shaved for my c-section, but not for the lap.  :-)
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
In retrospect, this is kind of funny.  They asked me to shave myself and I had a hard time doing it because my tummy was so big I couldn't see my....part requiring shaving....and had to kind of feel around to get the job done :)  The nurse said I did a good job tho'!
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
I had what the doctor called a zipper cut for my total hysterectomy...vertical line from just below my navel and right to the start of the hairline. I was not shaved. This was in 2000. Interesting question. I had to think about it!  Mary
Helpful - 0
121033 tn?1202886794
I was shaved for my TAH ....... but not until I was in OT fast asleep!
Helpful - 0
I was shaved just at the very top. I have c-sec scars in the hair and they used the scar for one of my 4 cuts so they just shaved a bit at the top. I am definatly not a "waxer" so they may have had no choice. HA HA!

Used to be they shave right at the business end for childbirth but I had a D&C and ablation done with my lap and no shaving for that.

Funny thing...some with the chemo hair loss...there, too...have talked of putting smily faces on the bald, sad pubic bump for the doc appointments after they lost their hair. I guess it causes quite a hoot!
Helpful - 0
I was shaved for my TAH. It started to itch as it started growing back, but then the stubble started falling out from the chemo. I just hope it does eventually grow back.
Helpful - 0
110491 tn?1274481937
I asked about being shaved before surgery...they said they will do it when I'm out but they didn't shave at all. Vertical cut from rib cage to pubic area with hair around the bottom staples. Of course it all fell out after the first chemo treatment...the hair that is,  not the staples.
Helpful - 0
I just had surgery done. They were not able to do lap so they cut me open, it was like a c-section. I don't think I was shaved. I don't feel itchy. But I still have my body parts, well most, I lost the ovary and tube on the right side. but no itchy.
Helpful - 0
I was! Fun times.  It was itchy upon return.  Blessings to you and you are in my prayers.
Helpful - 0
I was shaved for my C-section but not a few years later for my hysterectomy.  The only thing I can say is that when they went to change the dressing, after my hys, it pulled where it was taped in the unshaved hair.  That is still transitional to having the itching while the hair grew back after my C-section.  Most of what I have read, in recent years, is that there is no more chance of infection, sometimes less, when they don't shave you.
Helpful - 0
119341 tn?1232563757
I was shaved for my c-sections, but can't remember if I was shaved for my lap.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.