Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
108861 tn?1227246048

***** Cyber Party! ****

It's Saturday night here in the states and time for Cyber Party! Time to relax, share a virtual Margaita or beverage of your choice.  If you bring a treat to share put it over there by the hot tub.  Well move the party there later.  I am in Mankato MN and will head bak home soo so hoping one of you can take over as Hostess.  I'll be back on in an hour or so.  
     So tell us where you hale from, kids, etc. and where your most memorable vacation was.  Mine was in Cozumel Mexico.  We go there when we can as the diving is the best. (Next to the great barrier reef that is,I'd love to dive that one day and meet my Cysters from Oz). My most vivid memory was a dive at about 100 feet where we came upon a large turtle munching out on some coral and then had the pleasure of watching two large eagle rays gracfully navigate the edge of the ravine.  We had a room overlooking the ocean with a jacuzzi.  Sigh, that was the sublime!  So join us for Cyber Party!!!!  MV
16 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
106886 tn?1281291572
Hey Mary,

You are so right...I have "the girls." In fact, the younger one is squeaking one of her toys hoping I will follow her outside to play. Since I do talk to my dogs as if they are my children (which essentially they are!) I told her, "Mommy will play later." Nine a.m. on a Sunday....sorry, just not up for a game of fetch! Jed comes home tomorrow night. I am tackling the home office today. The only chance I really have to get in there to pick up and organize is when he is not home...so it is today or never or until he has to go out of town again. I have enjoyed the solitude this week and running my own schedule without having to think of someone else in the house, but to be honest, it is now getting a bit old and I will be glad to see him tomorrow night.

Vixen, just wanted to say hi, but also to comment on the meal you were preparing. That sounds wonderful. Jed grew small pumpkins in his garden years ago. He grew them mostly so that Katie could take pumpkins to school for show and tell or something like that, but I cooked many of them and I was amazed at the wonderful flavor. So...yes, I will have some of that slow cooked dish. Thanks!

Take care to all, Mary
Helpful - 0
121033 tn?1202886794
Hi. Joining you from Oz. It's 5.30 pm (DLS time) on Sunday here and you've probably all headed off to bed by now! I have a nice piece of slow roasted beef (cooking in a little red wine) with potatoes, pumpkin and peas (and a rich gravy) if anyone would like something more substantial. Please - dig in!

I guess one of my favourite holidays was to the Barossa Valley in South Australia. The German influence is high in the little villages dotted throughout the Valley. Wineries everywhere! Sampling the many varities of salami's and cheeses with a fine selection of wine ......... Sigh.
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Good Night Merytre!  Doesn't sound like you have slowed down much Star!  We have a lake place near Darwin innesota on Lake Stella, spend most summer weekends there.  Franks Dad built the place over ten years of weekends!  Is that perseverance or what!  We love it there between the fishing and water sports.  I come from a large Family so there is much coming and going most weekends.  I wouldn't trade it for the world!  I miss it everry winter!  MV
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Welcome to the Cyber Pary neighbor!  I figured you couldn't be far!  Dian lives in northwest Iowa.  I gre up in Richfield and that's where Frank and I settled.  We both had elderly parents here and it's easier being closeby.  Not sure when you lived in Minnesota but pretty certain you heard WCCO radio.  My older brother has been a meteorologist there for years.  He's our Family celeb.  Hope you make it back to Hawaii!  I was fortunate to go two years in a row with my Guard unit.  Tough duty!  That was on Oahu.  I did manage to dive there but the island is so immature geologically, there really is very little reef.  The turtles are immense though!  My son had surgery at Mayo in August, he is fine now.  They are tops!  MV
Helpful - 0
167426 tn?1254086235
I have pictures of myself hanging from a tree in a baby swing when I was just a few months old.  My folks like to fish.  I was raised on lakes and rivers. When my hubby to be, asked me to marry him, he said lets go fishing for a week in Minnesota. We raised 5 kids, 4 of them have campers and love to fish, my 5th one goes with me now, he is my son with Downs. Now my grandkids are taking up the rods and reels. Glad I was around to show them how to bait a hook. Leslee my daughter,with the Ca,told her hubby to be,that she expected him to learn to camp and fish. He did reluctinetly{sp}?  Can't tell you how many fish I have caught in my 76 years, but I think I could feed an army. After my hubby died we all bought time shares and we pool them so we all go together. Going to Big Sky Montana in Feb. 2 years ago we all descended on Disney Land for 5 days.  Think the one I really liked the best was Tennesee, I loved Dollywood and the Smokies. My time share is in Mauii Hawaii, but I let the kids use that one last year. Took a family friend of mine to Colorado 5 years ago, along with my son, I drove, had a great week there, she was 92, on the way home, took a short cut through a mountain pass in New Mexico because the passes were closed in Colo, got to the top of the pass in a white out and got stuck.  Finally a DOT worker drove us back down. Chris had to potty, only thing I had was a travel containor, after he used it I couldn't get the back window down so had to pass it up to my friend in the front to pitch it out. Think that DOT driver deserved a medal??  I do. thank God for memories. I hope reading this makes some of you smile.  Marty  PS  Since it snowed here yesterday, here is my left over chili.
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Hey L, I'm with you on the warm water!  We did some wreck diving in Lake Superior, it never gets above 33 degrees, Brrrr!  So where did you grow up?  I get out to Arlington every so often, Tascha is from VA too, just east of DC.  There was a storm that dumped 10 inches of snow on DC last February so we didn't manage to link up.  I spent the day on the mall, snowball fights, skiers, snowmen all the way to the capital building!  That area is different most certainly!  New Mexico, espeially up in the mountains, is just breathtaking!  Sounds like you will get some life time memories there!  So who needs a refill?  I brought buffalo wings, celery and good blue cheeze dressing with a key lime pie fofr later.  MV
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
So Star,
      Where do you live?  I know the track of the last storm since it dumped 8 inces on Mankato where my kids go to school.  Storm missed us in the Twin Cities completely.  I am glad you had a knight come along to rescue you and laughed out loud about passing the pee!  Hop in our virtual hot tub!  MV
Helpful - 0
167426 tn?1254086235
I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa  the snow was just the first one  always a tradition for a  chili night,  didn't stick around very long but went to shed and got my snow blower and shovel out for the ones to come.  Spent alot of time in the twins when my Brother was alive and lived there in Wayzeta.  We ice fished on Minnatonka. My daughter had her surgery at Mayos in Rochester, I like Minnesota except during football and basketball games.  ha ha ha
Helpful - 0
Hmmm, let's see. Diving. Haven't gone, am interested but only in warm water. I live in Northern VA but long to return to my New England roots at least -- anywhere but here in land of the "let's do lunch" crowd. I have been married for almost 11 years, three children, two boys and a girl.

Most memorable vacation was a trip through England and Wales. I've been on others but this one was nicest for the scenery and people.  And always, summers on Cape Cod, where I finally feel 'home'.  Some high school friends and I are starting our own "Big Chill" sorta group thing since we all feel as we get older, we need each other more. We are planning a trip to Santa Fe in the late winter and I'm hoping that is the start of my 'best vacations'.

Does anyone here play an instrument? I play guitar and I'd be lost without it.

L.
Helpful - 0
106886 tn?1281291572
Joining kind of late....sorry...

Simply...my spouse was born in York, PA. but went to High School in Wayzata, MN. We still live here. I am from Maryland, but went to college here. Spouse moved here when he was just 11 years old.

Sorry to hear of the passing of your brother. My oldest brother died about 9 years ago (diabetes complications), a year after our Mom died, but twenty  years after Dad died. Not sure why I am thinking of loved ones who have passed on, but with my husband out of town this week, I have had a lot of time at home to myself (Spent a lot of extra time at work) It is hard to lose immediate family members. Sorry, not trying to bring us all down.

Anyway...hello to everyone from Minneapolis!

Mary
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Welcome to the Party Mair!
     You are not bringing us down!  Slip in the hot tub and muse away! (Star splashes Linda square in the face!)  We should have linked up!  When does Jed get home?  And you are not alone with "the Girls" there!  That's what I love about pets, they are so darn glad to see you when you get home.  Our house would be so empty without our two neurotic cats!  Especially now that the kids are away at school!  We also have two large aquariums.  We always have our morning coffee sitting on the bed in front of the tak in our bedroom.  Great way to wake up!  MV
Helpful - 0
Hot tub was awesome, I have those horrible raisin  fingers. EWWWWWW jeez, I hate that.  Looks like I am 90 years old.  Off to bed ladies, see you soon, don't stay up too late now.  Merytre
Helpful - 0
167426 tn?1254086235
I have nothing but praise for Mayo  the doctor that did her surgery only does OVCA  we researched and got her in there 6 days after her diagnosis. I never lived in Minn  but spent a lot of time there.  My Brother lost a leg in WW2 and came back and ran a resort on Pelican Lake  near Nisswa, we all took turns going there and helping out during the summers. His nearest neighbor was Dinah Shores resort. Every year for the past 6,   we have been doing the wilderness canoeing in the boundry waters around Ely. beautiful country. This past summer though my oldest son got Lymnes,  got him to the doctor in time and he was cured in 10 days . Around here we do canoling, we have trolling motors mounted on our canoes with hand controls. Really saves the old backs and we get to see so much more.  Usually do about 20 miles per day. Camp on islands, cook out and sleep in tents. Sure gonna hate it when I get too old to do this.  ha ha ha
Helpful - 0
108861 tn?1227246048
Hey Ladies, sidle up to the bar!  What'll you have (remember it's virtual so you can have anything you want!)  Tab, I didn't even start diving till 1997 and almost 40 years old.  My Husband Frank and I have been hooked ever since!  It is a great sport for couples!  Hey Merytre, it's the rock fish you don't see that'll get you!  There was a Gal on one of our dives who thought it was fun to hunt for and wake up the nurse shark, crazy lady.  They aren't normally aggressive but you don't want to **** them off!  Mery, I am retired AF.  Seven years active duty and 21 years total with the Guard.  I love havving all my weekends back!  Frank retired about three years before me from Army reserve, he had 28 years.  I wouldn't trade the years when I was active duty either!  So come on in the hot tub, it's 102.  Perfect!!!  MMmmm   MV
Helpful - 0
I live in western ny state, no kids yet, but hoping to in the near future. Im engaged to the love of my life and we have been togteher for 9 years. We have several pets.

lets see best vacation? dont really have one, ive been many places in the continental US and ontario canada. I think my best trip was to visit my dad in SC in 2001 for a few weeks.

I must say im VERY jelous of you divers! i hope to some day go diving and whale/ dolphin watching, always wanted to swim with dolphins as well.

I have some chocolate chip and no bake cookies to share:)
Helpful - 0
Hi there, hope you make it home soon!  That sounds like good diving.  I actually have military experience also, and was in the USN for 10 years.  I was stationed in Guantanamo Bay Cuba and used to dive there also.  Carribean.... beautiful... I worked at the Naval Hospital, and used to dive with some docs.  I remember one time we were out and we saw a hammerhead shark!!  I got out of the way as quick as I could.  One of the docs (a very arrogant type) was trying to get close to the shark to touch it.  I couldn't believe it.  Anyway, we made it out okay.  Another time I as snorkeling around close to a rocky cliff area with several friends.  One of them was trying to get my attention and when I finally realized what he was trying to get me to look at, I realized it was a HUGE sea snake thing, with very vivid beautiful colored rings.  This thing was HUGE.  We were very scared, I kept remembering in my mind, that things with bright colors are dangerous, it didn't seem interested in us though.  We got out of there fast.  Later we saw one of those poisonous rock fish.  They look like rocks and sit on the bottom, but they are supposed to be deadly if you step on them.  It was hard to see, I can't even believe we saw it laying down there.  Now that I am a civilian, I have not been on any vacations as exciting as my life was at that time, but as the kids get older and I do too, its good to have things kind of stable.  I do miss the beauty though.  I love nature and this time of year.  I hope everyone is having a chance to get outside and enjoy fall!!  Merytre :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.