Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

HPV Question

Hello Doctor,

First, thanks much for this forum and thank you for the time you take to answer our questions.

Somewhat of a typical question which I understand that not a lot of study has been done, but I'd really appreciate your opinion.

Regarding HPV transmission, I had an incident about 3 months ago where a female was going to use her hand to stimulate me.  She did this and then briefly gave me unprotected oral (5 seconds or so?).  No genital contact.

Recently I've been more observant of anything on my penis...and I noticed some small white bumps when the skin is stretched tightly on the under portion of the shaft.

My questions are as follows:

1.  From what I've read, oral exposures are really not much of a risk of HPV transmission.  Is this your position as well? Have you ever had a case where this is the case?
2.  Many people mention time frames for sexually activity.  Does the brevity of contact (5 seconds vs 5 mins) mean much in STD transmission, such as HPV.
3.  In your experience, are most warts pretty obvious and would not require "skin-stretching"?
4.  Should these bumps wind up being warts, is it safe to assume that they are most likely not from this episode, even if my last sexual encounter was years ago?

Again, I really appreciate you time, patience and experience.

Take care.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you both for your comments and advice.  

I appreciate your time.

Take care
Helpful - 0
When you stretch your penile skin, you are most probably noticing fordyce spots / small cysts. Everyone has them, some more prominent than others. You have only noticed them because you are over examining yourself. I fell into the same trap. Ignore them, or a see a doctor to put you at ease. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I meant to also say that people do not get genital warts from oral sex.  Or if they do, it is rare.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Since you have read the forum and realize your question is typical--and therefore you have already seen (or can predict) my replies--I will go directly to your questions with very brief responses.

1) Oral HPV can be acquired by oral-genital contact, but almost always it remains asymptomatic and causes no significant health problem.

2) The shorter the contact, the less likely STD transmission.  There are no data on this, just common sense.

3) I'm sure there is a stage of warts development when they are small enough they are hard to see.  Whether 'stretching' would make them show up sooner, I cannot say.

4) If you have warts, I cannot speculate when you caught them.

If your concerned, of course see a health care provider.  Don't try to figure out whether or not you have warts by online opinion from me or anyone else.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Popular Resources
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Millions of people are diagnosed with STDs in the U.S. each year.
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.