Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Frequent Nosebleeds - even after cautery and packing

I have had nosebleeds at least weekly now for several months.  They can last 10 minutes to 3 hours.  ENT has cauterized my vessel three times and on the third time he packed it as well.  Four days later - the bloody noses have returned and are now daily.  

I have used Vaseline and/or Bacitracin as instructed to keep the area moist - in fact I have been diligent enough to use it every time I step into the bathroom, just in case.

So now what exactly are my options.  I absolutely refuse to have the area packed again.  Cautery is awful but do-able.  BUT how many times do I have to go through cautery until it finally works.  Any what if it never works.  Is there a next step?

I don't see the ENT for a few days and really just want to know what my options are now.  Could these nosebleeds be from some other underlying condition?  I am just so frustrated I don't know what to do.

THANK YOU for your time.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Persistent nosebleeds can be a sign of a more serious condition. Have you had any blood work done? Do you have any unusual bruising? or bruises that take too long to go away? Do you bleed too long when you cut yourself? If you are female, are your periods longer or heavier lately?
Helpful - 0
Persistent nosebleeds can be a sign of a more serious condition. Have you had any blood work done? Do you have any unusual bruising? or bruises that take too long to go away? Do you bleed too long when you cut yourself? If you are female, are your periods longer or heavier lately?

I have not had any current blood work done and no I do not have any unusual bruising etc.  I do not have any symtpoms of any bleeding disorder - yes I am female and periods are sometimes heavier - but I am 40....

ENT hasn't suggested blood work yet, but guess this should be a next step ?
Helpful - 0
You should at the very least get a complete blood count, and a platlet count. If there are any abnormalities in these numbers, the Dr. should know the next step to take as far as additional testing.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
AL
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.