Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

7 x Recurrent Pericarditis

I have had recurrent paricarditis for over 1 year.  It was originally diagnosed as pulled muscles in my chest.  Only after 3 trips to the emergency room did a doctor finally figure out to perform an echo on my heart.  The echo showed a fluid build-up in the bottom lining of my heart.  Blood test have been performed extensively.  No specific virus can be determined.  I do show positive for exposure throughout my life to most common three types of virus.  I have since been treated with prednisone (steriod).  But every time I get a cold it seems to go to my heart lining and cause me to re-evolve again.  This last week was my 7 time of having this. The left side of my body felt numb and I had a massive pain sensation in my left shoulder joint...to the point it felt like my arm was going to fall off my body.  I went into the doctor and was given Clarithromycin (Anti-Biotic) stated reason the steriods cause your immune system to be less than defensive, Entex L.A, unknown, and told to continue with prednisone 5mg.   I also received a shot of toredal(unsure of the spelling) this is a anti-inflammatory.  I have found immediate relief usually within 10-20 minutes after this 60mg shot.  While it does burn going in, the relief is immediate.  To the point, Why do I have paracarditis?  I'm a very healthy person, run 8-12 miles a week, go to the gym, ride the bike, and have for years...I'm 35 years old.  Was I exposed to something in the air? Did I come into contact with something?  I don't know where to proceed from here! Do I opt for more invasive search?  Won't that just cause more problems?  Can I expect to have long term damage because of this? It's been over a year, and I need to get more information, but no one seems to be able to offer anything more than just meds?

Sincerely
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Scared to death was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, What causes Pericarditis was started.
Helpful - 0
Ive also been told I have pericarditis.Ive had it for about 4 years,and have never gotten a straight answer from any doctor.Ive had extensive test ,echos,blood work, x-rays you name it Ive had it.It comes back every 6 months or so.When the pain starts I begin taking Prednisone and Alleve,it seems to shorten the duration.Also I see a chiropractor which seems to help as well,they believe when my back/torso gets out of alignment it will cause irritation through my ribs, thus causing a flare-up, sounds logical, and it does help , but Im not a big fan of chiropractors, most seem a little shady.                                                                Im only 31 and I also wonder how I got it and will it ever go away. Nobody seems to know. Anyone have any answers?
Helpful - 0
Ive also been told I have pericarditis.Ive had it for about 4 years,and have never gotten a straight answer from any doctor.Ive had extensive test ,echos,blood work, x-rays you name it Ive had it.It comes back every 6 months or so.When the pain starts I begin taking Prednisone and Alleve,it seems to shorten the duration.Also I see a chiropractor which seems to help as well,they believe when my back/torso gets out of alignment it will cause irritation through my ribs, thus causing a flare-up, sounds logical, and it does help , but Im not a big fan of chiropractors, most seem a little shady.                                                                Im only 31 and I also wonder how I got it and will it ever go away. Nobody seems to know. Anyone have any answers?
Helpful - 0
Hello all you Pericariditis People.  Yep another one joins the club.. I too suffer this grand afliction.. I have had two major effusions in the past 2.6yrs. and many small episodes.. The last one quite severe...I have a 6inch window now. and at present take 20mgs of prednisone. along with about 7-8 others for depression, diabeties which is caused by long term use of the prednisone..  Please feel free to contact.. I am currently talking with several other people who are suffering with this also...    ***@****   Tina
Helpful - 0
Wrong address.... ***@****
Helpful - 0
Hello I I have the same problem wioth Paricardits my self I have
Had it 8 times since october of 99  I went to Boston to New England Medical Center and the passed me on like everyone else,,,, I have had so much blood taken that my viens are getting hard now.. it is a very long and agravating story But would love to be able to chat and keep in touch .. We might be able to help each other out.. Get back to me if yuou would like
I am now on 30 mg of Prednisone  and look like a stuffed pig I am trying to keep a positave attitude but it is very hard.. I am a 45 year old Female.. before the start of this I took one pill a day for under active thyroid now I take 17 a day email me if you would like
[email protected]
Donna
Helpful - 0
I'm 17yrs old, in Dec. 1997-Jan. 1998 I had Acute Paricarditis, caused by an unknown virus that I somehow caught somewhere, at first my symptoms were diagnosed as a simple cold. After chest pain persisted and breathing became harder and more forced my parents sent me to a different doctor for a second opinion. This doc. ordered blood work done and many chest x-rays, upon looking at the x-rays he thought I might have an enlarged heart and sent me to a larger hospital 2.5hrs away from home for more tests. Finally it was determined that I had acute paricarditis and I had to have emergency open heart surgery to drain the fluid after scringes couldn't perce the paricardium (it was too think at that time). They initially drained 2L of fluid and kept a heart tube in my chest for 2 days after to continue to drain extra fluid. I'm not sure exactly how much more fluid did drain but I do know that it was a lot. I haven't had any recurrance, but do have to have an annual medical and blood work done.
Currently I've been assigned a project in Bio30 to study a disease and present a 5 minute oral about it. I've chosen Acute Paricarditis and need a little help with my research. I haven't found any pictures of a heart affected by this and would greatly appreciate it if someone knew where I could find some could tell me. Also I need some more info. about pericarditis. Thanks for your time.
Helpful - 0
I'm 17yrs old, in Dec. 1997-Jan. 1998 I had Acute Paricarditis, caused by an unknown virus that I somehow caught somewhere, at first my symptoms were diagnosed as a simple cold. After chest pain persisted and breathing became harder and more forced my parents sent me to a different doctor for a second opinion. This doc. ordered blood work done and many chest x-rays, upon looking at the x-rays he thought I might have an enlarged heart and sent me to a larger hospital 2.5hrs away from home for more tests. Finally it was determined that I had acute paricarditis and I had to have emergency open heart surgery to drain the fluid after scringes couldn't perce the paricardium (it was too think at that time). They initially drained 2L of fluid and kept a heart tube in my chest for 2 days after to continue to drain extra fluid. I'm not sure exactly how much more fluid did drain but I do know that it was a lot. I haven't had any recurrance, but do have to have an annual medical and blood work done.
Currently I've been assigned a project in Bio30 to study a disease and present a 5 minute oral about it. I've chosen Acute Paricarditis and need a little help with my research. I haven't found any pictures of a heart affected by this and would greatly appreciate it if someone knew where I could find some could tell me. Also I need some more info. about pericarditis. Thanks for your time.
Helpful - 0
Pericarditis is very common in otherwise healthy individuals and may be caused by a viral infection.  It generally does not become chronic which appears to be your case.  

It is very important to have this followed with echocardiography and make sure that you do not develope changes in the filling patterns of your heart due to  this.  This can be done with an echocardiogram.  

Medication to control Blood pressure and antiinflammatory agents may be uselful at this point.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.