Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia

I am 29, a non-smoker and I do not drink for the past year, I have had tachycardias. Almost all occur when I first get into bed at night.  These past 2 months have been the worst and after all the testing. (Cardiolite, Event Monitor, EKG's, thyroid, and blood chemistry, BP 117/67 normally, total cholesterol was 132 4 monthes ago.) My cardiologist said they are just IST and that I can just ignore the attacks.  Anyone who has them knows that they are impossible to ignore.  I am now on 0.25 mg Lanoxin and 50 mg Toprol XL daily to try to reduce the frequency.  A typical attack starts with numb feet and hands, then a rapid pulse ranging from 150 - 180 bpm, then I get cold sweats and dizziness.  A normal attack lasts 15 - 30 minutes.  After it is done I feel completely wiped out.  How do you know if an attack is bad enough to warrant a trip to the ER?  Has anyone out there started a phone-in support group (like they do in AA or such) If so, does it help?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am 25 years old.  I suffer from major anxiety and stress.  I usually keep a high resting pulse between 90-100bpm.  Sometimes I get these attacks of tachycardia that last for an hour or two.  Usually these attacks happen when I'm going to sleep at night.  Also I'll be fine for quiet some time and then all of a sudden become stricken with these attacks for several days to weeks in a row.  I don't feel panicky for the most part when these attacks occur, but for some reason I can't seem to slow my heart down even through breathing exercises.
Could this be completely related to the anxiety I experience?  I've heard that panic attacks only last for a few minutes...
Any ideas?
Helpful - 0
I am 25 years old.  I suffer from major anxiety and stress.  I usually keep a high resting pulse between 90-100bpm.  Sometimes I get these attacks of tachycardia that last for an hour or two.  Usually these attacks happen when I'm going to sleep at night.  Also I'll be fine for quiet some time and then all of a sudden become stricken with these attacks for several days to weeks in a row.  I don't feel panicky for the most part when these attacks occur, but for some reason I can't seem to slow my heart down even through breathing exercises.
Could this be completely related to the anxiety I experience?  I've heard that panic attacks only last for a few minutes...
Any ideas?
Helpful - 0
238668 tn?1232732330
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I don't know of any support groups but there are good treatments for IST including ablation if needed.  I would recommend seeing an electrophysiologist (doctor who specializes in heart rhythms) to discuss other treatment options.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.