Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Prevention of bacterial endocarditis

Hello. Please let me know if antibiotics are required for influenza viruses for prevention of endocarditis. I have a myxomatous degeneration of the mitral valve, Grade I, with mild regurgitation. I know I need antibiotics prior to teeth cleaning or any surgery, but I wonder about viruses. I don't want to take antibiotics unnecessarily.  My family has just come down with a mild influenza and I'm the last one to get it. I am coming down with it now. What about being around people with a strep throat? Would I need to take antibiotics for prevention even if I don't feel any symptoms?

Thanks for making this website possible.

Elena
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I would like to know the more recent guidelines for de prevention of de infectious endocarditis.

Helpful - 0
Dear Doctor. My question is; Do I need or should I take a prophylactic like, Amoxicillin before having a BCC removed from my nose area? I had a very successful mvp repair done in Dec.96. I have a BAXTER ANNULOPLASTY  ring installed. This BCC may be deeper than normal and somewhat larger, although the Dermatologist does not think it is to deep.I am a 65 year old man and in excellent condition. I do not take any meds. I was tested for penicillin reaction and passed. However, I donot like to test my reaction to this large amount of penicillin because along with my mvp I had both atrial fib. and tactacardia. I donot want to precipitate a severe reaction. What do you suggest?
Helpful - 0
238668 tn?1232732330
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
No, this is not currently recommended by the American Heart Association.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your answer, but you forgot to mention about if I'm around people with a strep throat, would I have to take prevention antibiotics or take them only if I get it? My husband suffers from strep throat attacks.
Helpful - 0
238668 tn?1232732330
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
No, antibiotics do not treat viruses.  Fortunately, viruses do not affect heart valves.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.