Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Atenolol

Thanks in advance for your answer.

History: 53,non smoker,no drugs non drinker. About 2 months ago became aware of increased amount of PACs and PVCs. Had them since childhood but only a few to non a day.  Holter and other tests led cardio to diagnos as benign. Had less than 1000 PACs per day and less than 50 PVCs. They started to increase from 1-2 an hour and within a week to the present 1 every minute which was my reason to seek medical attention.

The doc started me on a low dose of atenolol due to moderate hypertension and the palps. 25mg a day but it knocked my heart rate to 42-50 and pressure at peak to 85/55. The dose was reduced to half of a 25mg x 3 times a day which kept the pressure at a more constant 115/75 or there abouts. The palpitations also are milder but not much less in number.

Question #1: I have been on the atenolol now for 4 weeks and now there is trace blood in the urine as well as hematospermia. Urologist thinks its not due to the atenolol but to a prostatitis and is giving me Levaquin 500mg once a day for it. Have been on it one week but the hematospermia persists and the urine test still shows trace of blood. Can the blood in urine be from the blood from the hematospermia. I know that your not a urologist but could still tie things together.

Question #2: I've read  posts that indicate that having these PAC's and PVC's will someday lead to a-fib of varying seriousness. Is this true and is it always the case or rarely?

It seems as if one thing after another. Always been healthy now 4 things in a row. Are they tied together. Thanks

3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A month ago I was taking atenolol from Saint Anthony Hospital in Michigan City Indiana, I developed severe pvc's tri gem so on. after two days in the hosp, I went to another pharmacy and purchased there brand of atenolol. After taking one tablet from another manufacturer the pvc's stopped completely.
That bad brand was atenolol from Geneva. I told the hospital about it and they did nothing about it.
Whether it is a bad batch or what ever the case may be Genevea brand hospitalized me I suggest using mylan or another brand other than geneva. Heart patients don't need this kind of upset in their recoveries!
Helpful - 0
Dear Kovacs,
Question #1: Atenolol is not know to cause blood in the urine or prostatitis. You urologist could tell you better what he thinks is the actual cause.

Question #2: No, not all PACs lead to afib.  In some persons with atrial fibrillation the trigger is thought to be PACs but if everyone with PACs developed afib the whole planet would have afib.   Only about 5% of the population develop afib in their lifetime.
Helpful - 0
I will be going to the Dr. tomorrow, I'll let you know what he says.  Thanks for your feedback on my question...  Gail
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Heart Disease Forum

Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.