Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hepititas B Can it be contracted from the protection shots

My Fiance has just completed school to be a Surg Tech, before school she was tested for Hep B and it was negitive.  She had to go thru the series of 3 shots to be innoculated against this disease.  Upon completion of school it was found at a preemplyment physical that she now has Hep B.  I was tested and I am negitive.  SHe also is without a spleen.  Could the shots to guard her against Hep B have given her the disease?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
what test did they use on her? I believe antibodies for hep b will show up after the vaccination. That is what the vaccine is supposed to yield. ANtibodies to attack the virus, should it find its way in. YOu need to find out what tests were done that were positive.
Helpful - 0
No.  The vaccine contains the surface structure of HBV but does not contain the DNA of the actual virus so that humans exposed to this product can produce their own anti-HBsAg IgG without any risk of being infected by HBV itself.

This vaccine, however, does not guarantee immunity.  If you are vaccinated and the vaccination does not work, you are still susceptible to HBV.  That is why it is recommended that people who are vaccinated be tested for quantitative level of antibody after the vaccination to see if they need an additional booster shot to help it kick in.

Hope this helps,
leeac
Helpful - 0
as far as i know they do not use a live virus for hep b ..it is synthetic with a yeast base...so as for contraction from no but will produce anti's for the virus..been through 3 series and no positive for b.
Helpful - 0
I have a friend who had the series of shots for hep b (she's a Hospice volunteer) only to find out later that it did not take.  She did not test positive but was tested to see if the series took and they did not.  Until she told me that I didn't realize that there was a question as to whether or not the immunizations took.  I'm not a Dr. but in my own opinion I do not believe the immunizations can give you the desease.  I have Hep C and I'm on treatment for it. As soon as I tested positive for Hep C my Dr. tested me for the anibodies for Hep A and Hep B.  I did not have them and he started the immunization series for both right away.  I took my last Hep B Wenesday and will take my last Hep A next month.  I don't believe he would have started me on them if he thought I would get the desease from the immunization as I have enough to deal with for the Hep C but again I'm not a Dr but wanted to share my experience with you.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.