Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Drooping Eyelids Pulsing Pupils

Problems started July '98 with a feeling of fatigue and a distant feeling in my head.  I had about 7 complex partial seizures within 2 months time (background: had a few seizures while pregnant 8 years prior).  Accompanying this was a sharp shooting pain up the right side of my head that went through and beyond my temple area as well as your standard headache.  The MRI was "inconclusive" and so was the EEG I had in Oct. 98.  Dr. put me on Depakote that made me sick and on Zoloft which kept me awake.  December '98 was changed to Neurontin - 1800 mg day.  Went on the Ketogenic Diet in Feb. '99.  One seizure in April, but no other activity except the headaches because I stopped the Zoloft so I could get some sleep.  July '99, same stuff started all over again, except worse!!!  A few seizures here and there, exhaustion, fatigue, headaches, sharp pain on right side, Dr. upped Neurontin to 2400 mg. day.  Then in Sept. a wonderful new symptom arose, my eyelids are now drooping and when I get that "far-away" feeling I get blurred vision in my left eye (where the headaches were), that eyelid droops even more (my husband saw it actually move!) and my pupil dialates with a pulsating motion (very weird!).  
Any ideas?  Should I get another MRI?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
information is always good.

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
Deb -
As much as I hate giving away trade secrets, I recieved my answer so it is time to share the wealth.  On a hunch, I waited until 8 am Cleveland time and voila, I posted.  Being that I live in Nevada, that meant being alert and awake by 6 am, but it was worth it.
Good Luck
Valeri
Helpful - 0
Dear Deb:

I would not make a donation.  What is needed is corporate sponsors.  Although the forum is in money needs, it is no reason for you to spend your money.  If it doesn't survive, then sobeit.  Lets hope some corporate sponsor will help out.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
Deb
The service that sponsors these forums is constantly seeking donations...Medhelp.  these forums are great and I guess it is very expensive to run them.  I have been trying for many months to post a question but the forum is always closed....the explanation for "why I can't post" is that due to the cost of running these forums questions have to be severely limited.  I do appreciate MedHelp and will make a donation to them.  When is the best time to find the forum open to new questions...I have tried at various times but never find it open....I work so it would be hard during working hours.  I am very anxious to get my question posted.
Deb
Helpful - 0
Dear Valeri:

This is a free service.  Please do not send a donation.  We will not benefit from your donation.  If you desire, send your donation to an organization that you will see some benefit from, such as the Epilepsy Society, etc.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
The Zoloft was given to me for the headaches,.... but it is interesting that you should question it because I found out that it is used for Depression,... I wasn't depressed until recently when everything started coming back worse than it was before.  So the depression is secondary.  The Neurontin doesn't seem to be working and then my Neurologist sent me to a Psychiatrist to be evaluated for Bi-Polar.  I am not, nor have I ever been bi-polar. (My mother is a Child Psychologist so she should know!)  I am concerned about these new developments with my left eye.  That is where the pain has settled and my pupils are unstable (primarily in the evenings) and I now have droopy eyelids and both my eyes have been glossed over for months.  I really look like I am stoned out of my gourd!!!  I have been searching your site for symptoms that match mine, but to no avail.
Thank you for answering so promptly and I will indeed get another Neurologist and just today I went to my PCP to get a complete blood and urine workup.  You provide a great service here and I will be sure to send in a donation.
Helpful - 0
Dear Valeri:

A few things are somewhat questionable.  The initial use of VPA is not the standard for partial epilepsy.  Why was Zoloft started?  Neurontin is a good add-on medication, and some studies suggest that for a few it might be a good single treatment, but most of us do not use it as monotherapy.  I am assuming that all your lab work has been normal, including TSH and free T4.  I think, I would seek a second opinion from a good neurologist.  Take all your work-up thus far including the MRI.  It sounds like you likely have epilepsy, but it is mildly concerning that you have neurological signs.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease