Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

central pontine myelinolysis

Would like to know if  any research is being done on this disease on the brain stem (pons).  I have it plus it has caused down beat nystagmus which prevents me from driving.  The psychological impact is terrible.  I also would like to find someone with this disease.  So far I have not.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Central Pontine Myelinosis was started.
Helpful - 0
Dear Ottilie:

No, currently there is no know substance to help remyelinate axons.  Sorry that there isn't.

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
Is there any type of medication or herbs I can take to help restore myelin or at least control my imbalance and nystagmus?  Thank you
Helpful - 0
Dear Ottile:

No, there is no type of surgery to help this condition.

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
Thank you for answering my questions.  I really don't know when things happened but I have had this about 2 years.  Is there any chance of improvement or surgery I can undergo to correct this?  My life has been turned upside down.

Thank you
Helpful - 0
Dear Ottilie:

Central pontine myelinosis is usually results from changes in the osmolarity (electrolyte and protein concentration) in the brain versus the blood stream.  The abnormal difference between the two causes the myelin surrounding the nerve processes to become unraveled.  This inturn causes dysfunction of the nerves in this area.  This is not a disease, but the result from an abnormality.

Pontine problems can also arise from stroke in the pons.  This will give similar symptoms (although much more focal, such as only downbeat mystagmus).  If the stroke is large enough, it can cause complete loss of most movement below the eyes.

So, problems in the pons are usually the result of something.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease