Acne Community
Controlling sebum production

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Controlling sebum production

I've suffered from acne since I was 12, and I am now 29. The underlying cause is of course very oily skin. I would like to know if anyone out there has tried taking Propecia, the drug prescribed for male pattern baldness. I'm curious to know if this drug would reduce oiliness.
Oil (sebum) is the main cause of acne. That is why the best hope of long term remission is with Accutane (Roaccutane in some countries) which decreases the size of the oil glands. Have you taken this and if so what was your dosage and when did you finish taking it? As long as there are no contra-indications, a second or third course may be prescribed if necessary although most patients only need one course lasting 16 to 24 weeks. As a health care worker, I cannot recommend the use of Propecia or any other drug for uses other than those it is licenced for. Loiloi x
Hi Loiloi,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have taken Accutane when I was 15. I was on it for six months; first four months at 40mg per day followed by two months at 60mg per day. I only weighed about 115-120 pounds back then. The results weren't that good. I had a horrible outbreak shortly after I finished treatment that required using Septra to clear up. A year or so after that, I developed a rather severe case of folliculitis on my scalp that required long term Minocin.
I have had good results with oral antibiotics mentioned above, the only problem is that I must remain on them indefinetly, as they do not "cure" the underlying problem.
My doctor has since taken me off any oral meds because I have been on them for the last five years and he is hesitant to put me back on anything. My acne is not severe now, but is still a problem for me, and my skin is still extremely oily.
I have inquired about using a low dose of accutane (10-20mg/per day)for a longer period of time, but my Doc is unfamiliar with this. This is when he mentioned possibly trying Propecia.
Few dermatologists will agree to a low maintenance dose of accutane. Due to the side effects they usually use it only to hopefully cure the patient. Most dermatologists agree that there is little added benefit of a course exceeding a total dose of 150mg x your body weight in kg. Your best hope of long term remission is still another course of accutane, as like you say the oral antibiotics only help while you're on them (which for most patients is fine as they only suffer with acne for a short period during puberty) The likelihood of success with accutane now is greater than when you were fifteen, as the end of acne comes closer with age. I live in the UK so am not familiar with prescribing Propecia for acne. If you're not on oral medication at the momment the best topical gels i can reccommend are Differin and topical Isotretinoin (isotretrinoin being the active ingredient in oral accutane) Loiloi x
hi stan. Acne is caused by to much androgens. if we take something to block the androgens, the acnes usually lessons or goes away. saw palmetto berries have been shown to reduce this problem. I am female with an androgen problem. It also works on males. There is one prescription for hair loss made with this berry. U can buy saw P berry supplements at an vit store. Check the label u want more the 85%. The other thing to check out is ur blood sugar. if ur blood sugar is messed up, long of the short, u will have more free testosterone. Get the blood sugar under control and the free-T lowers. There are other other hormonal issues that contribute to acne. I feel we should look at the underlying cause and treat that instead of just treating the symptoms. My acne is from insulin resistance and thyroid problems. Now that both fo these issues are under control, my acne went away.  Lynn
Hi Lynn,

I have been taking saw palmetto everyday for the last five years. It really hasn't helped much. I also have tried eliminating things from my diet that have been associated with aggravating/increasing acne and/or hormone levels such as: refined carbs, sugar, and dairy. I guess I should look into my blood sugar levels.