Acne Community
Could Sudden Cardiac Arrest be a side effect of Acutane?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

My son was on Acutane last year for about 6 months.  He was perfectly healthy and very active. It has only been about a year since he has been off the medicine.  This February 2012 he collapased on the baseball field because his heart suddenly stopped. Because Angels were in place that night and proper cpr, I am a lucky mom to have my son.  As of today, we have no explanation as to why this happened.  We do not have a family history of heart disease or sudden cardiac death. He even had a sports physical the week before this happened.

When I mentioned this to doctors, they seem to blow you off.  Thought just maybe someone else out here is looking for answers or may have experienced something too. Also, if you are considering putting yourself or your child on this medicine, please don't! It is not worth it!
Tags: sudden, cardiac, cardiac arrest, side effects, Heart Disease, Heart, sudden cardia arrest
Hi there!

Well, though there have been reports of cardiac arrest in patients taking accutane, most of these patients were on other medications that could pose a risk as well and the link is not well established yet. The more common cause of cardiac arrest in adolescents has been linked to steroid intake used in body building (though I am not sure if this was his case) or some congenital cardiac abnormalities that suddenly present in adolescence. I would suggest discussing the situation in detail with his treating cardiologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I am a not so lucky Mom... .  

In 2005 at the age of 19 my perfectly healthy son collapsed when his heart stopped beating for unknown reasons and died.  It took quite awhile to get a cause of death from the coroners autopsy.  The final cause of death was listed as Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy.. he had no history of heart disease which is said to be common for this condition.  I took the autopsy report to 2 other cardiologist who recommended I get a second opinion and said that was not the cause of death given the lack of thickening in the heart muscle...  He had taken 2 courses of Accutane 1 year prior to this heart event..  In searching for a reason for this tragedy I have often wondered if the Accutane played a role...