Acne Community
When will it go away?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

When will it go away?

I am a 38 yr old female. I have had acne for most of my adult life. I have large pores and oily skin. The acne I get are mostly just large bumps under the surface that, when left alone, stay and become larger for 2-3 weeks. It happens all over my face and neck. With age, the breakouts have lessoned in severity and occurences. Never more than 2 or 3 bumps at a time now. But time has also left acne-scars. I've went to countless dermatologists over the years and have tried many topical solutions and some oral antibiotics. I can't remember all the names, but most recently I was on a combination of Retinol??? (not sure of spelling) along with a pill, maybe tetricycoline. I've also tried ProActiv, facials, over the counter solutions. Nothing seems to work.  I do wear makeup to work for probably 8-10 hrs a day. I know this don't help, but my face looks to bad not to. Perhaps, I've never learnt how to properly cleanse my face. Could you please tell me a daily skin-care regimen to prevent and maybe even get rid of this chronic problem? Also, what are the most effective methods to eliminate the scars??? Please help.....I'm pushing 40 now, I'd love to be free of this by then!!! Thank You!!!
This is me!!! You need to get control of your hormones, it is no longer a derm problem. The first thing they recommend is Spironolactone - about 200 mgs. a day. It is cheap, about $10 per month with insurance. Secondly, get on birthcontrol - Yasmin, namely. It has an antiandrogenic affect. Finally, for the scarring glycolic acid peels - a few over time.

I'm curious ... do you have PCOS? Or, are you overweight? hair where you don't want? Is this mostly around your period, like the 3rd week? Is week 2 your best? I'd love to know. Good luck.
Thank you very much for such a quick response. I'm getting desperate and I am so over this condition.

I had to google search PCOS to even know what it was. As far as I know, I don't have it. I am very fair complected with very little hair over my body. Periods are pretty well regular. I'm not sure how overweight would be an indicator but I'm 5'6" and I weigh about 165 lbs. (try to avoid the scale if possible). I have a two year old so most of my weight is centered around the midsection but I'm pretty sure it's still just excess post-baby weight. (How do you find time to exercise??)

Thank you for your recommendations on skincare. Couple questions....I googled the Spironolactane and from what I've found it's a diuretic used primarily for high blood pressure control. I searched a couple different sites and couldn't find mention of it's use for acne. Please explain how this tablet would help for me? I'm curious. Also, I have no insurance. I'm a single Mom with no assistance at all and my employer doesn't offer insurance. Unfortunately, I can't find money in my budget for both my daughter and myself to have coverage so I do without. A price check through costco shows the price of a 100 tablets (100mg) to be around $80.00. How many times a day would I take a 100mg tablet? For sure, my budget would not allow for $80.00 a month but if was a one a day then $26 a month might be possible. I do have a physician so I'm sure the prescription wouldn't be a problem (as long as he agreed with the treatment for my skin).

I have not been on BC for quite sometime but Yasmin looks to be a little too expensive also (around $50/month w/out insurance). Would regular ortho-novum work at all?? I imagine Yasmin is fairly new, so are there any others comparable but maybe cheaper alternatives?

I have heard of the glycolic acid peels. Who preforms these? How often is safe to have them done? Aside from the large pores, I only have maybe 8-10 acne pits which are mostly on the fatty part of my cheeks. I would consider them to be medium to small in size but still embarrassing. How many peels do you think that it would take for me?

Since in my case cost is a pretty big factor, for now can you suggest what over the counter cleansers/treatments/masks, etc. would work best for MY skin? (Again, I Have oily (all over) skin with large pores.) That way I can at least be cleansing correctly to help control the breakouts. As with all financial extras, I have to save the money then buy. So hopefully by around tax return time, I will be able to afford your recommended prescriptions.

Your input has been much appreciated. Thanks again....SoccerMom
here is the website I got the info from: http://www.everythingacne.com/spironolactone.htm

Basics
Spironolactone is typically used as a water pill, however it has properties that make it a very effective acne product. In regards to acne, spironolactone is an anti-androgen, meaning that it helps to block the effects of the androgen hormones that contribute to acne formation. Spironolactone is particularly helpful in treating hormonal acne as well as certain forms of adult acne.

How Does Spironolactone Help Prevent Acne?
Spironolactone works as an acne medication in two ways. First, it blocks the androgen hormone receptors. In doing so, it decreases the effects that the hormones have on oil production, thus helping decrease acne. In addition, spironolactone blocks the formation of androgen hormones which also helps to decrease acne formation. This helps for both acne control and to prevent further breakouts.

1. How long will it take to see the effects of spironolactone?
Typically, for acne spironolactone treatment can take several weeks to show its true benefits.
The spironolatone dosage used differs among dermatologists but typically begins with spironolactone 25 mg tablets taken twice daily with the dose eventually being increased to target around 100mg a day.

2. Is there a difference between spironolactone and aldactone?
No. Aldactone is simply a "trade name" version of spironolactone. So, the use of aldactone for acne, aldactone side effects, and normal doses of aldactone are indentical to those of spironolactone.

Next: Walmart has a list of $4 prescriptions, and spironolactone is one of them, however, only in the 25 mg. dose, and I don't know if it would be multiples of $4 or more ....e.g. 4 pills a day of 25 mg. might be $16 a month, you would have to call walmart to check. If you are eligible for free or reduced care a general practitioner can also prescribe it, BUT go in with the info so you don't have to convince them of this. OH, I JUST REREAD YOUR POST, YES! 1 PILL PER DAY OF 100 MG. = $26 .... VERY AFFORDABLE AND WORTH THE COST FOR THE OUTCOME!!

Alright, regarding Ortho Novum, the following pills are recommended to treat acne as a side effect:

Acne higher estrogen, lower androgen potency: Yasmin®, Demulen® 1/50, Othro-Tri Cyclen®, Ortho-Cyclen®, Yasmin®, Brevicon®, Modicon®, Necon®, Ortho Evra®, Mircette®

Best cleansers: the neutrogena bar for acne with salicylic acid and plain baking soda for a scrub in the shower. The best toner is Clinique level 2 or 3, and there are good reviews on the home microdermabrasian kits at the stores. Just make sure your skin can tolerate all the dryness.

Glycoloic acid peels can be done by an esthitician - even I don't spend the money for that either. I do have insurance, so my extra money goes towards buying the birth control and the creams. However, I have found glycolic for sale on ebay at reasonable prices - BE CAREFUL! Glycolics can burn! You have to know what you are doing, and experiment and not be overly zealous - follow the directions!

I promise, if you could get the spironolactone even the oiliness of your skin will abate! Put your money there first. By the way, you are exactly the person that our health care systems needs to help! It breaks my heart, and I hate that you don't have it. Maybe the next person in office will make the changes we need. Stay strong.
Wow, thank you very much for the quick and obviously very knowledgeable output. If you don't mind me asking, I'm new to the forum and how it works, are you a doctor or just a really educated individual? Your indepth response leads me to believe that you have some kind of medical background.
Thanks for the Spironolactone link. I am going to try and go through my regular practioner for the scipt. I will research it's help in acne and take it with me for my appointment. It also sounds as if this prescription can help with weight loss also. Yea! I forgot about the Wal-Mart $4 presciptions. It's so few and far between that I get a prescription for me but I have used this discount in the past and I'm eligible for it. This is definitely something to help make this happen for me!!
At this same Dr. appt. I will have him give me BC script for one of the ones you indicated in the list. Again, your response was very helpful. Very appreciative.
I believe I already use the Neutrogena cleanser you suggested. I will verify the salicydic acid additive. Hadn't ever heard of baking soda in the shower. As I already have a box in the fridge, this suggestion is free....Yea again! I have one of the home microdermabrasion kits (I believe the Neutrogena one). I did not find this effective. Actually think it caused more breakouts and made my skin more oily.
What does the Clinique toner do? Is this a topical cleanser? When is it used and how? Should I also use and estringent? I've never tried one but have heard it might help.
So I could do the glycolic peels myself?? I will check out ebay for it. I'm sure the cost difference from using a esthitician is quite worth it.
Fingers crossed for some health care assistance w/the upcoming election. It really does seem as if the government is against the people who are trying to do the right thing. I have worked for my whole adult life from the age of 18. Until my daughter came along, I worked two jobs. Current healthcare assistance is primarily geared towards people who prefer to live off of others rather than provide for themselves. Never once have I asked for unemployment benifits, food stamps, or free money of any sort. But now when I'm in need, my government tells me too bad.  I make too money? The cutoff for a single person w/one child in my home state of Florida is $1,070 dollars of income a month (GROSS). After taxes, I couldn't even pay my rent with that. Ha, how funny is that. I live like a pauper from paycheck to paycheck while the leaches out there get free living, utilites, food......all while sitting on their couches all day while I'm at work. I work in a building next to a governmental assistance office. The cars they drive in to pick up their food stamps are way nicer than mine. It doesn't seem fair by any means but what's the little guy to do. Suck it up and keep right on going. No use in complaining it don't get you anywhere. But as always, I will stay strong. Thanks for your concern. It's always nice to have someone sympathize.
Checked out Ebay. There are alot of different name brands w/varying glycolic percentages. Could you check it out and let me know what strength and brand would be best for me???
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Signed,
Deperate Soccermom
'just a really educated individual'.... that reads everything in sight.

"It also sounds as if this prescription can help with weight loss also" .... a little ;)

"I did not find this effective. Actually think it caused more breakouts and made my skin more oily." should only be done occasionally and not too roughly

What does the Clinique toner do? ... it is a toner (astringent) with salicylic acid. I could tolerate No. 3, and it would remove oil and tighten pores w/o being overly dry

So I could do the glycolic peels myself?? hmmm, this one is tricky, I can tell you aren't familiar with it, so go with 15%, and choose a seller that has a lot of good feedback. The sellers usually repackage it, so brands aren't always the best way to choose. BUT the spironolactone will work better, quicker.

Suck it up and keep right on going.... you are right, and your daughter will be a better person for it, I am for my Mother doing it for me. Hang in there
I have a Dr. appt. towards the middle of December. So I will post a message after the first of the year to let you how things are going.
Thanks again for all your help (and support). Say a prayer for me that this works!!!!
Hi my name is Eloise and i am 31 with acne for twenty years. I agree with heyang you need to take an anti-androgen contraceptive pill like Yasmin or Dianette (Called Diane35 in the USA) You can also take an oral antibiotic at the same type but will have to use a condom as antibiotics can lesson the pills contraceptive properties. Good antibiotics for acne are erythromycin or oxytetracycline. The best prescription lotions are Differin, Dalacin-T and Duac cream. If your doctor is not sympathetic find one who is. (A male doctor once told me "All women have periods, dear" after i told him about my hormone problems!) Also consider roaccutane (called accutane in the USA) it offers a total holiday from your acne, and for many-a permanent remission. Loiloi xx
Hello Eloise. Thank you for the input.
I will definitely look into the Accutane you mentioned. As I noted, I have no insurance but I'm going to put together a list of the suggested acne medicines and go into Walmart to check which ones would be discounted at $4 cost through their new program.
Have you heard anything about the Spironolactone that heyang talked of?
I'm definitely going into my Dr well armed with information. As he is a "man"... so I want to know my stuff incase he tries to pass my acne off. I am going to find a solution for this once and for all. I think I have found more help in this forum then I did with any of the numerous doctors and dermatolgists I have visited over the years. Never once have they mentioned that at my age it's a hormonal instead of bacterial problem. But then if I think about it.... aren't they in it for the money?? To cure me would be to lose my money! Now it makes sense.
Again...thank you very much for taking the time to offer your advise. I'll keep the forum posted on my progress.
xoxo SoccerMom769
I live in the UK so am not familiar with spironolactone but anything with anti-androgen properties will help your acne as it will block the action of male hormones which cause oil and acne. Don't let anyone tell you it's 'just a few spots'. You don't have to live with acne. Make a note of the medications mentioned above and decide with your doctor which would be best for you. Loiloi x
You need gluten free-milk free diet for a month......guarantee acne will disappear................Isa
ive been struggling with cycstic acne for the last 12 yrs. on and off.  Ive tried everything from tetracycline to minocin to birth control (which gave me migraines that put me in the hospital a number of times), ive tried all the topical creams, gels, u name it.  I finally had to go off the diane 35 because the migraines became unbearable, and instead of spending $40 each month, i ended up spending the $40 plus $110 on migraine meds, and my bp rose so high i had to go on meds right away (and im only 32 yrs old),  jus tto give a little background of myself, im a person who loves fashion, makeup, jewlery, and always beign on trend. so needless to say, looks are of significant importance to me.  Having this bad acne is really really taking a toll on my self esteem, to a point that i got side sewpt bangs cut, just so theyll hang over myleft cheek (since the left side is that much worse).  having said all this i went back to my doc for the millionth time in dispair untill she finally perscribed me aldactone. for me it was a great deal since its a diuretic, which helped my bp go down, and an acne medication at once.  I am at wits end now because i am starting month 3 on it.  I saw a very slight diff in my oily skin the first few weeks, butbut then suddenly had a severe breakout for the first month.  my acne takes forever to heal, so it left me with scars that will eventually hopefully fade next year and a really dry red patch/rash on my bridge of my nose and cheeks.  it goes away with cortizone (no its not lupus i asked my doc already).  I am otherwise a healthy female, but im really losing hope on the spiro.   i havnt seen even the slightest improvementso far with my acne.  the cysts are large, red, inflamed and extremely painful.  they are mainly on my jawline and close to my ear, a tiny bit on my neck. left side much worse than the right side.  I am so tempted to stop taking it and resort to accutane.  has anyone else noticed its taking this long to see any change? or like my doc said maybe stick it out for another month or so.  im losing patience and self esteem wiht each day that goes by.