Acne Community
acne cyst/nodule/carbuncle deep inside nose

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Okay here goes. I am 28 years old and have been living with something in my skin on my nose now for literally the past 10 years. I am really depressed and most of all frustrated because this is something that just will not go away and is causing a great deal of embarrassment for me. I have lost all the little confidence i once had, from as far back as my teenage years. This is not a typical pimple im talking about here. Far from it. I had extremely oily skin in highschool, and my nose was by far the oiliest. I would get pimples showing up all the time on my nose and I was also very uneducated as far as acne was concerned so it is safe to say I did not take very good care of my skin at that time. Well after I had graduated I got this one pimple near the end of my nose that took forever to heal. I was a picker so you can guess that I was not doing myself any favours to make it go away. Well from that time on my nose had just started erupting with acne. I would get this very red and lumpy like nodular acne all over my nose with severe inflammation. I begged my doctor for accutane because i knew it would have done the trick for me then, but because the acne was only restricted to my nose he would not prescribe it. Instead tetracycline and topicals were prescribed with little benefit. The tetracycline had managed to control it but the inflammation was always there and a red shiny lesion that would pop up every now and then if my skin was irritated. i notice that if i used salicylic acid on it the lesion would pop up as if triggerd from the acid. Then I would take the tetracycline and it would go back under the skin to hide. This went on for many years until one day i decided to go for IPL treatment for the redness as well as microdermabrasion. Bad idea. After the microderm my skin seemed very flawless and clear at first but this was merely an illusion. One day i used a salicylic acid toner for the blackheads on my nose that i am so prone to getting, and guess what? another flare! The shiny red nodular lesion was back but this time i did not take the tetracycline. After many weeks with this thing on my nose i started reading up on different skin infections and learned about carbuncles. Well I thought this just might be it. I may hav acquired a staph aureus infection from picking that pimple and improper treatment. Well lone behold after doing several hot compresses this thing started developing multiple heads and eventually started draining puss. I was left with a nasty looking scar after the lesion had drained and ulcerated. Well so I thought it was drained. So after the lesion formed a scar it was so disfiguring and red i opted for some v-beam treatments which have been so far the most effective. I have had five treatments already and there is still redness. Well just as of recent I stupidly had used another good ol salicylic acid product on my nose again for the blackheads thinking that this thing must finally be gone by now but lone behold the bright red shiny lesion returned. So I now understand that this thing is aggravated by salicylic acid. Well just recently it went back into hiding under my skin awaiting to flare again. This has been extremely frustrating not to mention embarrassing, because even when the lesion dosnt flare and is under my skin it is still causing a lot of inflammation and although the vbeam has helped drastically for the redness it is not treating the root of the problem. Im thinking the only way to truly get rid of this thing is to let it flare and then have it either excised or drained. Am I wrong to think this is a staph infection? could accutane help? I just want my confidence back I feel like im stuck in a bad dream and I cant wake up. HELP!!!