Acne Community
adult acne grrrrrrrr

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

adult acne grrrrrrrr

I am 40   and i have acne all my life just about since i was 13 i have had acne.right now i use retin A a minocycline.but even with this i still break out i dont know why?that about 27 years of acne longer than some of you have been alive.i even still get acne on my back and have some scars from acne i feel so ugly.no one my age has acne but me.i know how you all feel i really do.Is there anything more i can try or do?why do i stillget acne after all these years?i dont think its normal...I wish all of you the best of luck clearing up your acne i really do.
You can have your hormones levels tested. They may show you have too many androgens, or that you are particularly sensitive to the affect of androgens. However, taking an anti-androgen contraceptive pill carries higher risks in patients over 35. Have you ever taken accutane (isotretinoin)?it is the only drug currently available that offers hope of long term remission. Whilst other treatments can control the acne for the time they are taken-in most cases only a period of a few years during adolescence-if your acne is persistant you should consider it.

I am 37 and posted "finally an answer". recently. For me what has worked VERY well is 100mg of spironolactone prescribed to me by my derm. It is an anti-angdrogen. I had tried the various birthcontrol pills for acne and nothing worked. I have tried every cream, antibiotic, pill, cleanser.....I even worked for a derm. one year when I was 19 and he had me try everything he had. I had given up for a while and my derm (not the one I worked for) happened to notice during an annual mole check that I had acne and asked if I wanted something for it............I thought "I am sure it is just some new cream/pill that won't work"...........but I tried it anyway and am so glad I did!

I am only three years younger than you and have had it since high school. It got worse after I had my first daughter. I then started to breakout on my neck. So on the odd chance that I didn't have too many pimples on my face or chest.....it didn't matter because I had them on my neck. I kept thinking, when is this going to be done. Like you I felt like why do I feel like the only one this old to have acne ALL the time.

It can't hurt to ask your derm. about it. Mine didn't test my hormorne levels. He just asked me a few health questions and started me off at 50mg once a day. Within a couple of weeks I noticed a big difference but was still breaking out. He then changed my script to 100mg daily and I don't have one pimple on my face, chest or neck.

one caveat....you have to use some kind of birthcontrol with this medication, it is not safe to get pregnant while taking.  

Good luck!

P.S.  Please let me know if you end up trying it and how it works for you.

Duh...completely ignore my last post. I just happened to read another one of your posts, in which you say that you are a guy. So I doubt you need an anti-androgen med.

Sorry about that.

Good luck!
I'm a female, 31y/o (will be 32 in June) & I've had it!! I've had it constantly since 14y/o, til I went on a regiment of accutane & within a week it was clearing up & within a month it was gone. However, because it basically shutsdown your sebaceous glands (oil glands), it dries you out severely!! Everything was peeling! My lips were peeling off, things were cracking & bleeding including my hands & feet. But it was a small price to pay for beautiful porcelain skin.

For anyone looking to go on that I highly recommend Aquaphor ointment, it's a 2pk of tubes in a small box for $5 at Cvs, rite aid, etc & they have a big tub of it for $8... Its a God send! I still use to this day for chapped lips or skin... It literally rehydrates overnight while you sleep! Also this Med, can cause birth defects, so they make you sign waivers & it also requires blood work every month to check your liver. Yes, it's that powerful!! It can also cause problems with mental & emotional stability. But I didn't have that side effect happen & my brother (33y/o) just finished a regiment of accutane & his skin cleared up with no side effects except the dryness.

Unfortunately since the accutane, which maintained for a long time after I finished the Meds (they are oral), I've tried 100s of products both RXs & OTCs (because the acne came back a few years later, because I guess it missed me TERRIBLY ! (DRY JOKE! Ha!) & besides EpiDuo, which also caused severe dryness on my face, especially the creases of my face... Once I stopped using it to let my face recoop from the cracking & bleeding, it stopped working... Same thing happened with RetinA!  I can't seem to win with this plague that is ACNE!!

People have posted about having blood work done to test for hormonal imbalances... Been there, done that, because I've been DXed with PCOS, fibroids, etc... I also had a laparoscopy for endometriosis... Which my DR said all my levels came back within normal ranges!! What gives?! I've been tested sporadically at my request for years & I always get the same response, except how they can clear my face up & for good! & come on! I'm 31, not 16!! I find it hard to believe with all the medical advances amongst other advances throughout the world that they haven't found 1 thing that works! & NO, PROACTIV IS NOT IT! As others posted about how it works great in the beginning, seeing results almost immediately, that is definitely true... But they also said once you cut back or stop using it your acne comes back with avengence (sp?), usually worse than when you started... Which lets face it, it's DEVASTATING... ALSO TRUE! I have many sources that would tell you the same about ProActiv & the back from the dead acne caused scarring to boot! Talk about adding insult to injury... Or giving false hope! It's a kill joy of a product! I even tried to excuse that aspect & considered giving the new ProActiv+ a try just to get this crap pie off my face knowing the outcome once I wanna stop. Smh. A poster said that ProActiv actually uses bleach in their products... Not sure if that's true, but whatever.

So the moral of the story is that I'm an adult acne sufferer & want it to stop before I cut my face off! At almost 32, the bounce back of face trauma is slower than that of a teen or 20y/o & I need help & suggestions please! It's ruining my whole life  (LITERALLY! It's an embarrassment & I'm tired... NO EXHAUSTED of being looked at like a leper!

But, more than anything, I'm wondering, does anyone think adult acne in women might be linked to fertility problems? Has anyone with severe acne had terrible having kids???

PS. My acne is somewhat localized being predominately along my jaw line, which I've read & been told is hormonal, but my OBGYN, claimed it's not, plus I was told my hormone levels weren't a problem... Smh... But it's now migrated to my cheeks (I thought at 1st there was more on the right side because of phone usage... So I switched to the left side for phone calls, but it didn't blow up like the right side, so that theory crashed & burned horribly & on my neck (just the sides, none on the front or back, none on my back, nose or forehead (which rules out the T-zone)...

Once again... If anyone has ANY SUGGESTIONS THAT HAVE WORKED, FIT YOU OUR SOMEONE CLOSE TO YOU (regardless if age!!) be it OTC PRODUCTS or RXs, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW! I'm tired of still being the girl from high school known as "pizza face" & "dog meat"... From everything I've tried I deserve, like all of you to have clear beautiful skin before I die!
BBB
Sorry so long! Thanks for reading if you did! & I'll pray for you dealing with this demon!! Best of luck to you all!  :-) (SORRY for any spelling errors or words that don't seem to make sense, hopefully you ASL get there it inherit I typed this from my phone & it loves to insert the words it wants too! Haha! Take care!!)

~ Erin