ADDICT VOICE - recovery voice
During the years of my addiction I cultivated and Feed my addict voice untill it did all of the talking. " everyone does it" " your an addict it's expected of you" " they don't know how it is" ect.... I could go on and on. When I got into recovery I realized that my recovery voice was a bare whisper if I could hear it at all, compaired to my addict voice that is booming. I have spent the last 11 months giving strenghth and clarity to my recovery voice " of course I can handle this" " drugs will only make it worse" " being honest and open is so much better than the alternative" " when I drink and drug I make poor choices" etc....
So what does your addict brain say to you and how do you flip it with your recovery brain(thinking)? Tell us how it was and how it is now.
Becca
I had a war going on in my head when I was actively addicted,I would tell myself in the morning that I wasn't going to drink that night then all day I'd be telling myself why it
would be ok to have a drink.same with the pills the slightest twinge and I'd tell myself I needed the meds,now I don't talk to myself i just live there is no thought of being able to have a drink because I have now admitted that I'm an alcoholic and that I'm addicted to codeine I also know if I tried any other mind altering substance I'd be addicted to that as well,so for me it's just being honest about my addictions,and knowing my body can not tolerate these substances.

Denise
I know what you mean about the war Denise I always call mine the dueling banjos like in deliverance but that dates me and young people don't get it.
Becca
What a great analogy that's just what it's like,now I've dated myself because I do remember Deliverance.

Denise