Addiction: Social Community
drugs

This community is where you can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for substance abuse and addiction, please visit our Substance Abuse Addiction Community.

drugs

why do people think pot is just pot and it aint a crime,it is a crime ask the law.
It is called excuses.........
Although there are some states that it is legal to have with a prescription. Your point is valid. I'm not sure how this is related to the Addiction: Social community?
Is there a reason why you posted this?
sorry prob did put in wrong forum,and yes i agree that it is legal in some countries on prescription,but my reason for this post is that whilst iknow it aint the worst drug to take or the biggest crime to make some peoples views on it are not good especially when advising people who suffer long term drug abuse and is trying to cope with anxiety. Where i lives it is very much a crime,they have put it up to a class b drug which comes with a 2 to 5 year sentence.
Usually, here in Canada, pot is a money making crime that usually nets the authorities some cash, In most cases I have seen there is a large fine for the user and rarely jail time. If you are a seller then you will probably be jailed. Here there are times when a judge  wil give you just a warning. TRhe next time it will be a fine that most users can't afford and need time to pay. It also depends on how much you are caught with.and whether they think it is enough to say that you are in the business of selling it. Medical pot is very low grade and you can even grow your own depending on whether or not you are growing within the guide lines. In Canada we do not consider marajuana a terruible crime as does the nation to our south. What's the answer? All American pot users should move to Canada. If this was done Canada would have more people than America.
it is very much large and illigal over here but alot of people do use it for all the wrong reasons where i lives i hate any type of drug cant even stand the smell of it,i think i just have to accept that there are people all over the world that takes all types of things and my opinion is just mine as long as none of my family ever uses it then fine thanks for your answer.
It is illegal in Minnesota also.  Any drug that alters an addicts thinking isnt good, including pot.  Bottom line here......illegal is illegal no matter how you spin it.       sara
I go to NA and AA meetings and I have heard of some people smoking pot now and not considering it a relapse. They still pick up chips. They say they smoke to ease anxiety or to help them sleep. I really don't understand this....I could say, " I just take xanax to ease anxiety or help me sleep" or "I just took some oxycontin because I have bad cramps or a migraine" It doesn't make sense that people are justifying smoking and saying "it doesnt count as a relapse" ?? It's still a drug that is a mind altering substance. Oxycontin, xanax, and many others are legalized when you have a prescription, isn't essentially that hte same with weed, it is legalize with a prescription, so why is one okay and not the other. Yes, oxy and xanax are far more dangerous and addictive, but I have friends that smoke all day everyday non stop, and spend all their money on it, totally changes their behaviors, etc. so how is that not an addiction? Sorry, don't mean to vent, I just really don't understand the people who are justifying smoking, if anyone can shed some light on the perspectives these people are taking when smoking and saying it's okay, would be rly helpful!
It is called excuses.........
I don't think you are going to find many that disagree with what you are saying there are very few epically members in recovery that advocate using it .

I will play the devil's advocate here for some medical situations say cancer for an addict would it be safer to control there pain with pot or with multiple opiates ?

This is not condoning it but its a good question
i totally agree,illegal is illegal and anyone who uses it have def got an addictions,and like many on meds should try to seek helpand people who dont as dominosarah says its just excuses,i would just like to thank you all on a question that was asked last night and i responded to then others did in a different way to me i just thought i was being unfair when saying that pot is a drug and it is illegal,thank you all again.
This is a good question and has been debated many times before.  It comes down to the person....I know for me i cant smoke any weed as it does alter my thinking/moods and all i would be doing is hurting myself.  My recovery is the most sacred thing in my life~~~Stay strong in your thinking and beliefs.  Being anti drugs is a real good thing.     sara
thank you for your kind words and i wish you every success with your recovery.
Thank you~~~~~~~~sara
I can't smoke it as I tend to become overly introspective and at my age (60 last week!)  I'd prefer not to do that.  My daughters have been known to partake and I see what it has done to them..a once ambitious, responsible daughter has turned to a lazy, irresponsible daughter who doesn't care about much of anything.  On the other hand it has helped another daughter with her depression and frequent outbursts (she's 21) yet she is also somewhat lazy without much ambition.   I suspect they remember very little of our recent trip to Jamaica, but they kept room service busy.

I haven't used in over 20 years and while I did use a lot between 17-late 40's, have no desire whatsoever to use again.

Jim