Could it be a hormonal/adrenal problem?
I've had terrible symptoms of what my doctor claims to be anxiety for over a year, that include chest pains, shortness of breath every day, nausea, palpitations, seeing heartbeat in my eyes, neck throbbing and pain, cold feeling in my heart, weakness/EXTREME fatigue (feeling like my body's just going to shut down) and overall a constant, nervous-sick feeling right over where my heart is...it feels like it's dying... I've had an echocardiogram stress test and a CT scan of the heart done and the docs (2 different cardiologists) say nothing appears to be wrong.
I have been treating it for anxiety, which include lots of exercise, better diet, relaxing activities (yoga or stretching) and I've tried:
-propranolol (made me feel like i was going into heart failure),
-paxil (made symptoms worse, including severe jaw clenching)
-buspar (no change besides disturbing thoughts and dreams)
-various natural supplements
-xanax (only took when symptoms were abnormally severe, and worked; made me feel normal, which is VERY rare)
- I want to TRY gabapentin, because I'm hoping it's a neurological problem...but I'm scared because I usually have bad reactions to meds.

For the record I have also had a brain MRI and CT angiogram of my head which also seem normal.
Got my thyroid checked out and did some other blood tests a while back when I first started having symptoms, which also were all normal.

I want to believe it is a problem with my nervous or endocrine system, as I also get dizzy and disorientated easily,  and I get spotty vision...I abused a LOT of drugs when I was a teenager, and I even had a couple of close calls (overdosing) on amphetamines... I also smoked a lot of what is called "spice" (a synthetic drug that was later found out to be quite dangerous)...
but right now I'm really afraid it's my heart, because I feel it right there!
Any advice?? I feel like I don't know where to turn...
Did you get copies of any of your testing?

If it is adrenal (low adrenal), your sodium and or potassium would be off - too low or too high. That should have been a clue. It could also be a renin/aldosterone issue, or something with other hormones - but unless you know what testing you have had - like for a pheo?

Is your BP normal or low?

I would gather up your tests and see the results yourself. I have often been told *normal* when it was not - that may give you other clues.
thanks for the comment. to be honest I'm really not sure what blood tests I have had done, I'll look into that...
as far as my blood pressure goes, it is almost always low - 96/56 or so.
If your BP is that low, it may be you also have a renin and aldosterone issue. I would make sure your sodium and potassium are in good ranges.