Allergies - Food Community
Am i gluten intolerant??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

Am i gluten intolerant??

I have looked up the symptoms and i don't have all of them but i will tell you what i do have.  I have a bloated feeling in my stomach, especially after i eat, for instance last night my wife made stuffing and chicken and after i ate i felt like i was so full of gas.  During the day i burp and fart a lot.  My breakfast consists of scrambled eggs and toast almost every morning and a sandwich for lunch.    I dont have abdominal pain, just bloating discomfort, the bloating is not outwardly noticeable at all.  How long after i eat gluten will it take for the symptoms to subside?  I am trying to figure out if this is a gluten intolerance or something else before i my scheduled appointment with my GI.  I have no weight loss or gain, no headache, i have been diagnosed with GERD/reflux and take prilosec.
Forgot to say i am a 26/m healthy otherwise. 170lbs.
You could still have gluten intolerance and/or other food intolerances.  The combination IBS/GERD  is what I deal with and they are both affected by food sensitivities/intolerances.  http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=30
there are hundreds of symptoms for celiac disease. i encourage you to see a GI specialist, have a blood test done, and a biopsy of your intestines (the only 100% way to know). I just  found out a little less than 2 years ago that I have celiac disease and it has practically distroyed my digestive tract where i can't eat most foods...

take as much preventative action as you can :)
You're lucky your GI took the biopsy.  Mine is stubborn and won't do it.  I have to simply avoid the foods that make the problems worse, like gluten, in order to be proactive and take preventative action.  Mine has the attitude that if the blood test is negative he isn't going to do the small intestine biopsy.  And, you're right about that being the only 100% way to know for sure.  I want to fire him, but I can't, because my PCP is limited on where she is allowed to refer me.  Mine is an idiot about gluten sensitivity/intolerance.  He thinks that if the test is negative that the bad reactions to it are all in my head.  Yeah, well it's not his bowels being affected, and it's not his eczema that is affected by it.  I don't understand why mine is such an idiot on this one subject when all my other doctors know about Tyramine Intolerance and recognize that I do actually know what I'm talking about.  

I strongly feel that I do have Celiac--even if my GI is a total idiot about it and I don't have the official diagnosis.  That's why I try to be helpful and show people that one site they can look up for themselves.  It's exactly why I agree that you have to be proactive and take preventative action as you can.

The Western diet is full of gluten, especially from wheat.  If you look at that site I gave the link to, you will see for yourself that the modern hybrid of wheat has been manipulated so much that the stuff is 80% gluten.  It's no wonder people are getting sick with weird problems and more and more people do have gluten intolerances or Celiac!  And, my idiot GI doctor thinks it's all in my head just because the blood test is negative.  I really do think he is an idiot, because those blood tests are so far from accurate that it's pathetic.
I am so sorry to hear that :(  The good news is that you know what makes you sick and what doesn't so you know what to stay way from to feel okay. Considering that the only "cure" for celiac is to avoid gluten, whether you have it or not you're doing something good for your body.

Aaaaaand, i can't stress enough, celiac disease is more than just cheat and eat gluten, get sick (however you personally react), feel better, repeat. A pinky nail worth of gluten PERMANENTLY damages the GI tract...

Take good care of yourselves :)