Allergies - Food Community
BIO GEL NAILS CAN CAUSE ALLERGIES\?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Food Allergies.

BIO GEL NAILS CAN CAUSE ALLERGIES\?

I HAVE ITCHY EVERYWHERE THAT STARTED A FEW DAYS AFTER I TRIED BIO GEL NAILS. IS ITCHY EVERYWHERE AND I GET IT MOST LIKELY FIRST IN MY PALMS AND PALMS OF MY FEET AND THEN ALL THE WAY AROUND MY BODY ** THANKS
Anything can cause you to have an allergic reaction.  It doesn't surprise me in the least that artificial nails are causing you to have this kind of a reaction.  Very likely it's the glue you are reacting to.  But, remember, the artificial nails themselves are loaded with who knows how many chemicals as well.  Then, most people add still more chemicals when they add the nail polish to the artificial nails.  Still, my guess is that your body doesn't like the nail glue.  The nail bed itself can absorb whatever is put on them, so the substance goes right through the nail bed and into your blood stream.  This is an indication to me that you should NOT wear artificial nails again in the future.

The other thing about artificial nails, even though many women go through many years of their lives wearing these things constantly, is that your fingernails and your toenails do still need to breathe.  The fingernails can't breathe if there is this artificial "turf" smothering them.  Some people do get nail fungus from these artificial nails, and the natural nail for everyone who wears artificial nails does weaken.  

I ran into a woman the other day in the nail salon with similar allergy!!  She mentioned she cannot use the gel powder but can use the LCN more expensive type of gel nails.  Her cuticles reacted!  Anything artificial isn't natural for your body, and  I'd say your body is giving a signal to steer clear of this item.  Just my two cents.

C~
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The itchiness could be due to contact dermatitis, that is exposure to an irritant like a chemical or metal or anything you are allergic to, it can cause rash and itchiness. The other causes could be due to a fungal infection, atopic dermatitis and scabies. Usually there is itching and some amount of inflammation with these conditions. But to exactly pin point the pathology you will need to consult your  primary care physician who will examine you an may ask for blood tests. If the need arises he may refer you to a dermatologist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I received your answer. I took nails myself, itchy keeps there, My doctor is sending me to allergist specialist but before I get to see him they tested blood again. I bought myself the scabies medicine, I did treatment at night but my skin was not dried in full, so I realized I haven't done treatment properly. Itchy is less severe but is there. I being controlling the itchy and skin swelling using Reactin, it keeps me OK for 3 days and then process re-start again. This morning I was fasting bc blood work was going to be done today and itchy started at my feet(plants), I took a warmer shower and after that it was horrible, itchy in my hands was intense, redness in hands (palms) but when I stretched skin you can see some white white masses all the way around my hands and very rash and bites that after 10 minutes when doctor was going to see me they were gone; however, the good thing is that
sorry , Today haven't take Medicine and no severe itchy yet. The other thing is that bcause I suffer of Nephrotic Syndrome I am scare that my kidney is not working properly. That is my major Concern, also my hubby asking to test for diabetes ??? Thanks let me know what do you think
It's always a good idea to test for diabetes.  These days the test they use is the A1C blood test because it can tell the doctor what your overall blood sugar has been for the past few weeks, so it is more accurate than simply testing your blood sugar.  I had renal failure a few years ago.  I never did figure out why.  And, your husband is correct to ask about testing for diabetes, because diabetes can really damage the kidneys.  So, along with the usual tests the Nephrologist takes, you should ask him if he is also testing for diabetes as part of the group of tests he takes for the kidneys.
How are doing?